Gnice Gneiss

Cpt.Caveman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And here's one of the other dam up thattaway. Historical note: the checkerboard pattern was for a dam heightening project that never came to pass. It would have raised the Ross Lake level by something like 100 feet, thus inundating a lot more of Canada just over the border (the lake currently extends a mile or two into Canada).

5a1a559990dcb_252431-RossDamfrbelow_sm.jpg.05d3818eba8685e95fb3d76f681c43dd.jpg

Dru said:

Cpt.Caveman said:

klenke said:

Looking down at the valve house (pressure relief valves) of Diablo Dam.

Ok smarty what is this?

sumpthin near bella coola.

Yes and that is all I could guess it as. too close together to be Jacobsen and West Jacobsen imho. Serl was also not sure. Any takers bring it on since I dont know either. It is in the "vicinity of Ape Lake" but during our trip I could not recall at what point I took the photo.

Annotating your white boxes from left to right:

Larrabee, Slesse, and Klawatti (foreground peak). Tepeh Towers extend left from Klawatti. Klawatti Glacier is on the right; Inspiration Glacier on the left.

The view is roughly northwestward (from Forbidden Peak, East Ridge, I presume).

THIS IS THE RIGHT ANSWER. DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER WITH GUESSES.

Dru said:

so is it spickard group on left, hozomeen in middle, i dunno on third?

I am more inclined to believe klenke's guess. That is Klawatti and Tepeh Towers...

Most of the time 90% or so I climb and take photos without wearing my glasses. It makes it hard for me to determine what I am shooting. Thanks.

Dru said:

well klenke bust it.... i didnt know slesse looked that good from the southeast.

i figured it was the pickets middle-right though

It seems some of the assumptions are incorrect.

Larabee and slesse are not that far away. In this picture I am thiking that they are too far away to completely agree with Klenke.

Dru said:

zoom makes distances look weird

i think klenke is right

i bet a moderator is gonna whine about mountain photos in the rock climbing forum evils3d.gifyellaf.gif

Yes Zoom does but that is too far away logically. Even from this vantage I would guess those summits to be at least 5 mile apart or way more.

I think ulitmately Klenke is incorrect about one of those two.

Regarding the previoius image I annotated for you: I AM COMPLETELY CORRECT. DO NOT EVER SECOND GUESS ME. DO IT AND DIE! (In the case of Larrabee, the proof is in the outline, of which I've seen enough times to know it when I see it. The outline clearly shows the Pleiades on the right of Larrabee. When you zoom in, the distance between peaks appears to widen. True enough, Larrabee and Slesse are not far from each other but would appear as such when you zoom in that direction from a distant peak.

Regarding the new image, I'm guessing that is Monte Cristo Peak (on the Glacier Basin side). This would make the ridge in the foreground part of Silver Tip Peak. I'm not really sure though. When I'm not sure, I'll admit it. When I am sure, I won't say as much.