Greater Methow Area Climbing Anytime

Uncle_Tricky

Hellow fellow jokersposeurshosersandfreaks -- I am living in Twisp, able to climb anytime. WaPass, N. Cascades, Skaha, Squish, L-worth, Okanogan, whatever? I'd also like to get into Cathedral peak before the snow flies. Possible road tripping somewhere sometime. Get in touch if you want to climb.

If anyone is coming over to the Methow, I can offer rustic accomodations at the Snafflehound Hill Sheep Ranch and Puddlefront Cowgirl Spa. Nothing fancy mind you. But as long as you can put up with a bunch of randy cowgirls riding around bareback while herding marmots in nothing but assless chaps and cowgirl hats, it's survivable.

Drop me an email or pm a couple days in advance, as internet service is intermittent. Even the peg-legged pikas who run the drool-powered electricity-generating water wheel around here need a break every now and then.

And ELMERETTE, you are NOT invited--go make sweet love to a speeding Saguaro Cactus, honey.

snaf.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yellaf.gifyellaf.gif

i'm pretty sure that if anyone is wearing the chaps then there is an ass in the chaps (at least that's been my experience) but i sorta thought that by definition chaps themselves were assless. confused.gifwink.gif

oh well... i refuse to heard marmots in my chaps so i guess it doesn't matter anyway smirk.gif

Just so you know, access to Andrews Creek Trail north of Winthrop is closed due to damage caused by the Farewell Creek Fire. FS lady in Winthrop told me today that you can bike the last 5 miles of the Chewuch River Road to the Chewuch River Trail. You can bike the trail too as far as I'm concerned (who's going to be up there right now to snare you?).

Shortest way in to Cathedral Peak is via Canada (Wall Creek-Cathedral Fork). Shortest way in on WA side is from Windy Creek Road/Trail about 10 miles SE of the peak as the crow flies. However, you have to drop down about 1,300 feet or so from the trailhead to get to the Chewuch River Trail.

Matt said:

What's the shortest way to drive to Twisp? Just looking at the map it looks like I-90 to 97 thru Wenatchee.

it's really a toss up matt.

i prefer up thru d-town and over hwy 20. the drive between twisp and wenatchee seems like it takes forver!

Just so you know of trail closures, this is what Forrest had to say: trail closures.

As for which way is shorter to Twisp, this is what I calculated and put in my Gazetteer a while back:

237 miles from Seattle to Winthrop via Stevens Pass Hwy

190 miles from Seattle to Winthrop via North Cascades Hwy

I'm not sure where in Seattle that original calculation was made. Might have been the Woodinville locale.

If time is a constraint, I personally therefore make the cut off for which way to go at the little town of Pateros.

I have generally found, in experimentation, that it takes about 3.25 hours to get to Winthrop via NCH and 4.5 via SPH. But the latter has taken as long as 5 hours before.

Conclusion: drive to Winthrop via NCH.

A good few days were had this weekend. Got rained out at the pass on Thurs, so ended up on restless natives on goat wall, where I pulled off a big chunk of rock and took a fall that left me with toes touching ground. A bit scraped up and fully adrenalized, we continued up for another few pitches, pulling off loose holds until it started raining hard. Bring your helmet on goat wall fer sure.

Matt came out for the weekend. With a party of 3, we got lost on the east face of minuteman and ended up on some wacky stuff. We didn't traverse right soon enough and got suckered towards the neat looking but off-route left facing dihedral w/finger crack. (It looks sweet, getting to it is the problem as it's protected by 30+ feet of hard, loose, difficult to protect climbing above a leg breaker slab). By the time we figured out we needed to be one left facing corner over, we needed to skeedadle, as G-man had to be in twisp for work that afternoon.

The next day Matt and i went up the SW Rib of SEWS, taking the 5.10 fingercrack variation pitch, then traversing left to go up through the spectacular and exciting 5.10 double roofs pitch of the Boving route (NW face of SEWS). Wild! We then rejoined the SW rib above the double wide cracks. A great way to make a fun route more challenging!

hell yeah tricky!!!, thats cu, tho whats up? wanna come down and meet me in az..? we can hit up cochise! lemme kno yo. glad to hear y'all havin a good time. the s.w. is beautiful but i'm already missin the valley... seen dose recently? well anyway its cool hearing about good times back home. keep on rockin son! -bp

Hell yeah Uncle Tricky!!

Sweet climbing was done as well as some quality beer swilling at the Twisp Brewery. I say we have a pub club out in Twisp! As a side note, I think your shack definitely qualifies as a cabin. Nice place to build a home, man I wish I had it in me to move out there.

Scout keeps telling me how much fun he had and how we have to go back. He's a dirty happy dog.

Next time I'll lead that roof.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif