Sulfide Glacier this time of year

JoshK

How broken does the sulfide get this time of year? I've only been on it quite early in the season. I was considering it as a route to haul a 100% beginner up, so any sort of real crevasse challenges would have to be avoided. I guess another way to ask this question would be to ask if it's a reasonable solo this time of year.

thanks,

-josh

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do it, Josh. I skied it, in October, in fog, on a relatively low snow year. I did it just for the novelty (trying to get turns all year), and there was a short section where we had to take the skis off; there was a little bit of bare ice and some minor wandering around crevasses, but nothing serious (we did not put on crampons and there were no scary bridges or anything). It'll be fine unless by "any sort of real crevasse challenges would have to be avoided" you mean that your friend doesn't want to have to walk near step over anyting they might fall into.

Yup, I'd say no worries either. I was up the Chimneys 3 weeks ago, and the Sulphide looked real solid - very few slots, if any, on the route. The folks we met at the top who had come up that way had said it was cake. We haven't had that much warm weather since then, so it probably hasn't changed much (if anything, bridges will be more solid now with lower temps).

salbrecher said:

All you can eat, which route are you skiing? We'll be skiing the coleman on Saterday.

We will be on the Boulder Park Cleaver. The CD is in pretty good condition considering the hot summer, better than the prior two years anyhow. I had a blast skiing down a few weeks ago. Enjoy the new snow! If plans change it'd be awesome to hook up with some fellow CC'ers. There is a chance we'd be doing the CD still. Have a great weekend...