Post for gun lovers- Something to chew on.

allthumbs

I have said this before and I will, no doubt, say it again. I am a former Prosecuting Attorney. I have prosecuted about 25 homicide cases. Never once...not one time, did the type of weapon, type of ammo, trigger pull, 3.5 disconnect or amount of training have anything to do with guilt or innocence. Most cops don't even investigate or record such info in their reports. The question (at least here in the country, Thank God) is did the SOB deserve to die and was the defendant a worthy person to do the killing. That sounds pretty flip, but it is also pretty close to the truth. If you have to defend yourself in court for shooting someone, you better worry a whole lot less about the type of gun used, and worry a whole lot more about a concept called "justification". If you are righteous in shooting, it doesn't matter if you use an Abrams tank.

Randall

Semper Fi!

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

NRA Life Member

GOA Member

JPFO Member

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Misterbater & Drool, this thread is for my gun-loving buddies. It's interesting because so much is made in the gun rags about unscrupulous attorneys tearing a righteous shooter apart with the type of firearm he used in a self-defense shooting. This dispels this myth to some extent. Now fuck off gimp.

Guy gets hit over the head with a bottle at a drunken party. Goes out to car gets gun returns to house and shoots guy. Calls it "self defense" because he was able to claim he was "protecting" his cousin who he thought was still in the house. Washington State: no "duty to retreat" = self defense. Other states: murder.

Self Defense?

Guy shoots another guy to death who he thought molested his son. Turns out the son made up the story. Oops, sorry dude.

Not Self Defense

Trask, you should thank God every day that you live in the great State of Washington.

I like the Colorado "Make My Day Law"

Lady has a restraining order against her boyfriend. He starts bashing down her door one night. She calls 911. As he gets the door open she unloads 6 45cal rounds into him. Police show up ten minutes later. The now dead boyfriend is found to have a 9mm in his waistband. Wonder if he just wanted to have a friendly little chat with his girlfriend?

Another one, Florida if I remember. Guy gets car jacked, the perps stuff him into the trunk of his car. The perps drive for a few minutes and then stop to check the guy, they think he might have a cell phone. Perps unlock truck. Owner pops out brandishing two handguns, tells them to hit the deck. The perps don't, both have their car jacking careers put to an early end.

For home defense a pump action shotgun is the best. If someone is in the house and they hear that sucker getting cocked, they've got to have some big balls to stay around. If they do the shot gun is a whole lot better then a pistol or assault rifle in the house.

Too bad the liberal media doesn't harp on all the justified shootings as much as they harp on the isolated unjustified shootings.

Every responsible citizen should, vote and own a gun.

thumbs_up.gif i would rather no-one had guns, but al long as ass-holes out there continue to use them for unlawful purposes, i will have one. mabe if the media would use their persuasion to help rid the world of illegal weapons, instead of setting their sights at lawfull gun owners, mabe I (and i am sure others) would not find the need for mine.

catbirdseat said:

Guy gets hit over the head with a bottle at a drunken party. Goes out to car gets gun returns to house and shoots guy. Calls it "self defense" because he was able to claim he was "protecting" his cousin who he thought was still in the house. Washington State: no "duty to retreat" = self defense. Other states: murder.

Self Defense?

Guy shoots another guy to death who he thought molested his son. Turns out the son made up the story. Oops, sorry dude.

Not Self Defense

Trask, you should thank God every day that you live in the great State of Washington.

Catbird, as far as I'm concerned, there is no other place on earth to live. We have it all here.

mr.radon said:

I like the Colorado "Make My Day Law"

Lady has a restraining order against her boyfriend. He starts bashing down her door one night. She calls 911. As he gets the door open she unloads 6 45cal rounds into him. Police show up ten minutes later. The now dead boyfriend is found to have a 9mm in his waistband. Wonder if he just wanted to have a friendly little chat with his girlfriend?

Another one, Florida if I remember. Guy gets car jacked, the perps stuff him into the trunk of his car. The perps drive for a few minutes and then stop to check the guy, they think he might have a cell phone. Perps unlock truck. Owner pops out brandishing two handguns, tells them to hit the deck. The perps don't, both have their car jacking careers put to an early end.

For home defense a pump action shotgun is the best. If someone is in the house and they hear that sucker getting cocked, they've got to have some big balls to stay around. If they do the shot gun is a whole lot better then a pistol or assault rifle in the house.

Too bad the liberal media doesn't harp on all the justified shootings as much as they harp on the isolated unjustified shootings.

Every responsible citizen should, vote and own a gun.

You've got it all twisted around in your mind, man. Most shootings by those other than peace officers are unjustified. Shootings in self defense are rare, which is why the media make a bid deal about it when it happens.

catbirdseat you're full of crap....... The media only highlights questionable shootings to further their own agenda. Most shootings by law abiding citizens are justified and the media doesn't hype them up. They only want to make hay about the idiots with guns.

A few good stories:

Woman in justified shooting of intruder in Seattle.

Homeowner shoots pair of alleged thieves

Two women capture suspects

Alleged home intruder shot, 'critical'

Self-defense eyed in incident's wake

Slain burglar had served 4 prison terms

Falls burglary victim shoots suspect, 19

Jury says rancher justified in killing

Bank robbery suspect is shot

Edited by mr.radon

mr.radon said:

catbirdseat you're full of crap....... The media only highlights questionable shootings to further their own agenda. Most shootings by law abiding citizens are justified and the media doesn't hype them up. They only want to make hay about the idiots with guns.

You said it. I didn't.

Listen, I could come up with ten times the number of unjustified shootings in the same time interval, but I would be boring.

catbirdseat said:

You said it. I didn't. Listen, I could come up with ten times the number of unjustified shootings in the same time interval, but I would be boring.

I'd like to see that. I'll have to dig out the study done in Colorado. Five years after the "Make My Day Law" was passed the State issued a report on the number of justified uses of deadly force to those where the homeowner was charged with a crime. The result was that only 2% involved charges being filed. I can't recall how many of these 2% were actually brought the trial.

That works out to 50:1 against your theory. Catbirdseat, are you just shooting your mouth off or do you have some facts to back up your Wild West theory?

We'd have a whole lot less gun crime if a law was passed that put any criminal behind bars for life if they used a gun in the commision of a crime.