Farmed Salmon: Food for thought

Fairweather

Dru, I think that the analogy would more accurately be:

Hmmm, the farmed salmon industry is being attacked by a group using tobacco science with a sample size of ten and the New York Times as a loudspeaker. How should they respond?

I'm not sure that the article that I pasted is one sponsored by the farmed salmon industry. It might have been the science group itself responding. All I know is that I clipped it from a general seafood industry zine.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Continuing the "follow the money trail" analysis of this issue, I find it hard to see how EWG would make any money by "attacking" fish farms even if they did put them out of business. Do you think the EWG is getting money from free-range fisherman? It could be, but I doubt it.

Greg_W said:

There was an interesting article in The Economist a few weeks back about farm-raised salmon (and shellfish and seabass) and how this industry might be able to solve some of the food shortage problems in the Third World. It was an interesting outlook.

haha funny joke, but will that ever get to 3W countries? fuck no. they have been using this propaganda for GM corn for years and even though most of the GM corn is produced in 3W countries, it is consumed here in the good ol' U.S.A. mad.gif

RobBob said:

Hmmm, the farmed salmon industry is being attacked by a group using tobacco science with a sample size of ten and the New York Times as a loudspeaker. How should they respond?

If they want to allay their customers fears about PCBs, they should ask for independent review of the PCB content of farmed vs. wild salmon (yes sample size larger than 10 is necessary) and review of the health effects of PCB in foods.

However, farmed fish is bad in many other ways than just this PCB issue as people have pointed out in this thread.

I applaud the EWG for drawing attention to the issue.

And I condemn them for distorting the truth and scaring consumers with a 'study' that is based on 10 filets.

Alpinfox, since you won't believe me when I say that salmon farmers aren't likely to have the resources to fund studies to defend PCB charges (and I don't think they were responsible for 'the Monsanto lady's quotes), please spend a couple of hours researching the financial resources of the EWG versus Chilean salmon farmers. Do it with an honest, open mind. Do you think that salmon farming companies that are operating below cost to begin with because of low prices can take the time and effort and $ to do that? Wouldn't they be breaking their fiduciary duty to shareholders by wasting money in that manner?

Are you really so bamboozled by corporate stereotypes bandied about by the enviro-subculture that you think every industry is controlled by mega-corpations with vaults of money?

cantfocus.gif

babnik said:

Greg_W said:

There was an interesting article in The Economist a few weeks back about farm-raised salmon (and shellfish and seabass) and how this industry might be able to solve some of the food shortage problems in the Third World. It was an interesting outlook.

haha funny joke, but will that ever get to 3W countries? fuck no. they have been using this propaganda for GM corn for years and even though most of the GM corn is produced in 3W countries, it is consumed here in the good ol' U.S.A. mad.gif

yes and they can consume it if they so choose and they can earn $$$ to buy other foodstuffs. obviously not perfect, they're probably getting the shaft in some regard but there is a problem producing enough food for the billions on this planet. any progress towards that is good

minx said:

babnik said:

Greg_W said:

yes and they can consume it if they so choose and they can earn $$$ to buy other foodstuffs. obviously not perfect, they're probably getting the shaft in some regard but there is a problem producing enough food for the billions on this planet. any progress towards that is good

no there isn't. there is currently more than enough to feed everyone, but we greedy fat mother fuckers are eating much more than our share, throwing good food out and such. the main problem is distribution, not quantity.

RobBob said:

I applaud the EWG for drawing attention to the issue.

And I condemn them for distorting the truth and scaring consumers with a 'study' that is based on 10 filets.

Maybe the EWG doesn't have enough money to do a more comprehensive study? They raised a red flag. It's up to the people who make money in the business to convince their customers that the product is safe.

Alpinfox, since you won't believe me when I say that salmon farmers aren't likely to have the resources to fund studies to defend PCB charges (and I don't think they were responsible for 'the Monsanto lady's quotes), please spend a couple of hours researching the financial resources of the EWG versus Chilean salmon farmers. Do it with an honest, open mind. Do you think that salmon farming companies that are operating below cost to begin with because of low prices can take the time and effort and $ to do that? Wouldn't they be breaking their fiduciary duty to shareholders by wasting money in that manner?

I value their duty to the consumer more than I value their duty to their shareholders.

Are you really so bamboozled by corporate stereotypes bandied about by the enviro-subculture that you think every industry is controlled by mega-corpations with vaults of money?

cantfocus.gif

Maybe not EVERY industry, but most, yes. cantfocus.gif

RobBob said:

bullshit babnik. the 'problem' is population growth throughout the 3W.

yeh. but there is still enough food for the time being. in fact why dont you look up how many lbs. of food it takes my make on lb of beef. then you will see the answer dickhead. sure 3W countries like india are breeding like fuking bunnies but we can share the blame in that we support wastefull excercises like taking (3W style) edible food and transforming it into a fraction of the same amount of beef. this was discussed with the salmon, but it is on much larger scale with the cows. its a two sided thing man, there is no one group at fault, was are all the problem.

babnik said:

Greg_W said:

Hey, don't shit on me. I was just passing on a good article. Don't shit on the article unless you've read it.

Greg_W said:

babnik said:

Greg_W said:

Hey, don't shit on me. I was just passing on a good article. Don't shit on the article unless you've read it.

You're a fucking pussy greg. I hope your balls actually descend before your climbing trip this weekend.

babnik said:

RobBob said:

yeh. but there is still enough food for the time being. in fact why dont you look up how many lbs. of food it takes my make on lb of beef. then you will see the answer dickhead. sure 3W countries like india are breeding like fuking bunnies but we can share the blame in that we support wastefull excercises like taking (3W style) edible food and transforming it into a fraction of the same amount of beef. this was discussed with the salmon, but it is on much larger scale with the cows. its a two sided thing man, there is no one group at fault, was are all the problem.

RANGE FED beef... we cant eat grass. smoke it yes eat it no...waita sec what was in the brownie mushsmile.gif

RobBob said:

It WAS a good article BTW, and not slanted for or against

yellaf.gif if this is the same artcle as i read it was something like "despite environmental concerns, farmed fish a valuable rescource for world hunger" or something like this. isn't that kinda opinion as to who will say whether several tons of contentrated shit in the water and increased risk to polluntants is worth saving 2-3 cents on a fish?

E-rock said:

Greg_W said:

babnik said:

Greg_W said:

You're a fucking pussy greg. I hope your balls actually descend before your climbing trip this weekend.

Oh, now you wanna go a few rounds? Hey, can't we all just get along? confused.gif

Dru said:

babnik said:

RobBob said:

RANGE FED beef... we cant eat grass. smoke it yes eat it no...waita sec what was in the brownie mushsmile.gif

what percentage of battle in the U.S. is range fed? i doub it to be a great number. rolleyes.gif look in the snohomish valley and see how many are range fed.

if this is the same artcle as i read it was something like "despite environmental concerns, farmed fish a valuable rescource for world hunger" or something like this. isn't that kinda opinion as to who will say whether several tons of contentrated shit in the water and increased risk to polluntants is worth saving 2-3 cents on a fish?

babnik, your book reports suk.