fire-restricted access???

Sol

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

if you can get to redoubt it will have to be from American side via Hannegan Pass and Chwk River. the others are CLOSED CLOSED CLOSED. even stupid Yak where the rock begins at the highway!

you can go bouldering in Hope though I think, cause rocks are on the highway right of way or private land thumbs_up.gif

If you feel like a ferry ride, the closest BC mountains that ARE open are in northern half of Stratcona Provincial Park, in the middle of the island. Lots of supposedly decent, and even some hard, alpine rock up there. Check out Mt. Colonel Foster on bivouac.com. The trailhead is 5-6 hours drive north of Victoria, then a quick hike into the base. Then up to 20 pitches.

Hey, Doug Scott said it was the shit.

I have only seen it from afar...I prefer to go the mainland for good alpine climbing, but there you go... I'd go to WA for alpine climbing this weekend if I had the weekend free, but if you want Canadian rock, then we have it here.

Andrews Creek in the Pasayten is closed, as are a couple of others in the vicinity of the Farewell Creek fire north of Winthrop.

FR-1590 (South Fork Cascade River Road) that provides access to Formidable and environs is closed due to a fire up there by Johannesburg.

snoboy said:

Powell River area is open too, bit closer than Strathcona I think.

stinkybuda is just hyping the Island cause he's stuck there now yellaf.gif

anyway Powell River is an island too. it's just that the whole island of the Sunshine Coast is accidentally connected to the mainland. it's like an amoeba that never budded.

Dru said:

all the canadians are going south cause it sux so bad. you can come up, but don't climb, just spend money in murrays store.... yellaf.gif

Better yet, stop into either of the Squamish climbing shops, and sign up for a turn at patrolling. Forty-five minutes to an hour walking through the Grand Wall Base area, or about a half-hour for Murrin Park, just making absolutely certain everyone is complying with the STRICT no-smoking rule. The only reason BC Parks hasn't already shut down the remaining climbing areas is because the climbing community has been doing such an effective job of self-policing. BC Parks had hoped for five patrols per day - we've had people doing "the walk" hourly from 10 AM through 7 PM, and we'd like to maintain that frequency.

So sure, spend money if you really feel the need to, but more importantly, come in and put your name on the list.