Current N. Cascade Fire Conditions

catbirdseat

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could count three seperate fire plumes while spending yesterday climbing Buckner's North face.

It was pretty odd because in the afternoon the smoke had created a haze all around us. It made my lack of sleep hallucinations even more wild. tongue.gif

Driving up to Chiwawa River area yesterday, noticed (by way of smell and sight) a thick pall of forest fire smoke on the Stevens Pass Highway from about Index on.

We saw a fire plume start up in the vicinity of Dome Peak while we were up on Dumbell. The fire was directly in front of Dome from our vantage, so was probably somewhere near the head of Sulphur Creek. I remarked at the time how I wouldn't want to be climbing Sinister Peak right then, as the plume billowed directly into that peak.

Just got back from an attempt on Johannesburg. The smoke from the fire to the west of Jberg was obscuring the valley about half of the time. All of my gear and clothes including my body came home reeking of smoke. I had to wash every thing, including my harness, pack, sleeping bag and slings. Met one party turning back from the Ptarmigan Traverse because of the smoke.