varmints

Charlie

While climbing at vantage yesterday, I was in the middle of a short lie-back section, when I heard this strange shrieking sound. I leaned foward to look in the crack and saw a bat next to my hand, exposing his teeth and squeeling at me. I've never down-climbed so fast! Another time on Zebra-zion, I stepped off the belay and headed up the crack- before I could put a peace in, a bird flew out of the crack, right toward my face. Anyone have any varmint/climbing stories? Met the ring-tail on dinner ledge(s face, washington column)?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ring Tail harrassing my ass all night after three days on Zodiak. But here's the real critter story.

These two old-school bad ass Missoula area climbers, Grey and Brad, wanted to do this FA on this crack up at Lolo Pass but there was all these rats living up in there. So they go back to town get all these supplies right. Go back to the crack, and Brad dumps like 4 gallons of unleaded into the crack while Grey hangs out with his old six-shooter in hand. Brad lights the crack on fire and all these pissed-off huge-ass squealing rats come busting out a few seconds later. Grey empties his handgun shooting at all the Rats and misses every single last one.

But they got all the rats out of there and climbed the damn thing. I don't think it was that great a crack, but till this day its all black and charred on the wall around the crack.

I was checking out this 5.9 crack at Seneca Rocks WV for a top rope. There was this couple already on it and they were about done. I think she was one of the rope gun hookers. You can tell the guy was basically pulling her up while she thought she was really climbing it. About 3/4 the way up she starting yelling about a bat or mouse or something. I just ignored her, thinking she was just whining about something. Once they were done, we setup our toprope and I hopped on it. Sure enought at the same spot when I put my hand in the crack, I would hear the squeek of bat. I tested about 5 times, and each time it was the same results. I couldn't see where it was at in the crack. I ended up avoiding the crack and doing some face climbing.

Buddy at J-Tree is belaying his girlfriend on a 5.7. Girlfriend gets to one point, reaches up to a jug, pulls up and locks, then SCREAMS! Climbs rally fasdt but wont say what is wrong.

So the guy is seconding and gets to the same jug. Pulls up, locks off, peeks over lip of jug and there is his hand with a tarantula the same size as his hand investigating it to see if it is FOOD or MATE? shocked.gif" border="0[laf][laf]

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

quote:

Originally posted by ScottP:
Six days into a trip into the Southern Picketts, I was awakened one night by something tugging at my hair. I have no idea what it was, but it must have liked what it tasted because it kept coming back.

I had the same experience in the bugaboos. I roled over and saw a big fat marmot with ugly yellow teeth grinning at me. He also ate my buddies sox, boy was he pissed in the morning!

mad.gif" border="0[laf]