ice screw length

DavidG

I'm looking to get a small set of screws for moderate alpine ice routes. Think routes that may require two to four placements total on 70degree ice. There is a good deal on the BD express screws at rei, but they only come in 10cm and 13cm. Does size matter? BD says that longer isn't neccessarily stronger even when two otherwise identical screws are fully sunk/screwed in. Would 13 cm be a good compromise between versatility and other factors, or should I get a couple of 10's and a couple of 13's?

Thanks

Dave

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Shorter screws may be more work in the long run. Alpine ice often has a shitty surface layer that you clean off, at least partially before placing. The shorter your screws the more complete you're clean off will have to be.

I'd also speculate that alpine ice gets better deeper in as the upper surface is often a lot softer (warmer) than the blue ice below. A longer screw will place more of it's thread into the good ice, unless you do even more digging to prepare the placement.

Place (and therefore, buy) the longest screw that the ice will take without "lifting up" the ice or the screw bottoming out against rock.

FYI, my ice rack contains about five 17 cm screws, one 22 cm screw, two Snarg hammer-ins at 13 cm (panic pro), and two 10 cm screws for the thin shit. And a coupla of Russian Ti screws for "leavers" on bail-outs.