Escaped Atlantic Salmon & WA

Jim

RobBob said:

Hell, I could go through that page you linked, and point out how the meanings have been tweaked in a lot of those quotes cited. Why bother? I'm not Goat, and I'm not a salmon farmer.

Or there's no way to refute the facts. Have a good day non-climber bob

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim said:

RobBob said:

Hell, I could go through that page you linked, and point out how the meanings have been tweaked in a lot of those quotes cited. Why bother? I'm not Goat, and I'm not a salmon farmer.

Or there's no way to refute the facts. Have a good day non-climber bob

Jim, you appear to have eaten a big bowl of "Shit for Brains" for breakfast.

Okay, I decided to go back and look at Jim's link and point out some obvious spin items. I could spend a week, it's so full of it, and I'm not a salmon farmer. It repeatedly states bland facts as some sorts of accusation, in a manner that only the dumb or the already-a-choir-member could get worked up about.

3 quick items about this biased link:

1. It is sponsored by Salmon Nation, some kind of wild salmon and Indian promo group.

2. it talks about astaxanthin as if it is a drug, when in fact it is the main carotenoid responsible for the orange color in salmon, whether wild or farmed. It mentions in an accusatory manner that buyers use a color wheel when grading farmed salmon, when in fact buyers use this color wheel in wild salmon also. (Wild salmon varies in color, and some of you may have been treated to wild King salmon that is white in color. Tastes good but doesn't look as good.)

3. It states that a "near collapse of pink salmon runs" in BC are being blamed on salmon farms in the area. I just received a trade article this morning that talks about the record pink salmon run occurring in BC at the moment, and how it is maxing out the industry's capacity to process it. smirk.gif

I could go on and on, but what's the use? thumbs_down.gif

RobBob said:

3. It states that a "near collapse of pink salmon runs" in BC are being blamed on salmon farms in the area. I just received a trade article this morning that talks about the record pink salmon run occurring in BC at the moment, and how it is maxing out the industry's capacity to process it. smirk.gif

And they fallowed (left empty) all the salmon farms this year to try and control the sea louse epidemic....

Coincidence?

Well at least that's a partial reply. But it doesen't address the major issues such as increased parasite infestations of native runs, viral diseases that have wiped out net stocks, the addition of waste products in a concentrated area, the antibiotics used, higher PCBs in farmed fish. Oh yea - the fact that you need 2.5 lbs of ground up fish to feed the critters to make 1 lb of farmed salmon. And what started the thread - the piles of escapees.

No thanks - I'll stick to the wild ones.

Why don't ya ask a salmon farmer? Seriously, read the article in The Economist. Try to keep an open mind. BTW, regarding the use of industrial fishmeal and oil, the annual harvest of that fishery has been the same for eons, and virtually all types of aquaculture are undertaking research to move to more-vegetable based diets, according to the article. Just eyeballing your BS-link, I know enough to know that tilapia, catfish, and carp don't use the equivalent of .3 lb of industrial fish in their diet...they are primarily herbivorous. fruit.gif

...which leads me to ask, are you one of those people who eat animals but don't have the heart to kill them? blush.gif

There is no difference between faming chickens and farming salmon. If you want to eat healthier, buy free range chickens from PCC and Whole Foods. Same goes with wild salmon. The environmental impact of farming is gigantic!

The Atlantic Salmon being farmed on the Pacific side are genetic zombies. They all belong to the same gene pool. There could be adverse long term effects to thinning the gene pool of any species. My guess is that if we rely on salmon farming for our food supply, the stocks will eventually need genetic modification to obtain the proper balance of protein, Om3 and other fatty amino acids. Only wild stocks can obtain the proper mix for a lively meat. Otherwise, you might as well be eating catfish. hellno3d.gif

I see no real adverse side effects to consuming farm raised animals but that does not mean that there aren't any. confused.gif

More power to them if they can increase the efficiencies. I did see an article on some interesting aquaculture going on in Baltimore using bio-digester for the waste.

Again I would say that all aqua-culture is not bad. Particularly some of the species you mentioned - they have done wonders for supplying protien to many third world areas. But with the salmon farming in the NW there was a rush for the bucks without contemplation of the ecological effects. And we're paying for it in a number of ways.

Having worked as a fisheries ecologist I have some experience with the fish/water issues. And I like to catch 'em now and then. IMO - don't think the farmed salmon is good, or a good thing.