HiFi Bookshelf Speakers???

Necronomicon

After noticing an annoyingly shitty buzz in my left stereo speaker, and fucking with the wires for a half an hour, I took the front cover off to find that the cone on the woofer was literally blown to pieces.

These were fifteen year old Boston Acoustic A60 60W speakers, and really rocked with my 40W amp. Crisp, bassy, and LOUD! Any reccommendations for replacements under $300?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Necronomicon said:

After noticing an annoyingly shitty buzz in my left stereo speaker, and fucking with the wires for a half an hour, I took the front cover off to find that the cone on the woofer was literally blown to pieces.

These were fifteen year old Boston Acoustic A60 60W speakers, and really rocked with my 40W amp. Crisp, bassy, and LOUD! Any reccommendations for replacements under $300?

Mr. Necronomisatanrockerconvict: Dr. Flash Amazing recommends that you seek out your local Hi-Fi store (NOT your local big-box electronics retailer, mind you), and look for speakers from JM Lab, specifically the JM Lab Chorus 705. It should be around 300 bucks (possibly a little more), and will seriously outperform most anything else in that price range, and a lot of stuff above that price range. These little beauties have been consistent faves among hi-fi snobs who spend more on their stereos than on their cars. DFA has the floor-standing version (the Chorus 710), and he loves them (currently rocking the Less Than Jake at head-knocking volumes).

If you ain't got a fancy boutique hi-fi store in your local slum, seek out Good Guys! (it might be Best Buy, but pretty sure it's GG!), who now carries Athena loudspeakers. These babies, which come from Canadia, are rumored to rock your socks way harder than anything at their price point has any right to, and you can probably get into a decent floor-standing speaker for around 300, or a bit less for a bookshelf.

Barring either of the above, Polk has a fairly well-regarded little bookshelf (625i or something like that) that should be cheap and reliably rocking.

Also, the reason you may have blown your cones in the first place is not enough power. Make sure you're not driving your amp harder than it can handle, which is a surefire way to fucking trash your speak's.

Good luck, ese.

Necrogreazzystick, Dr. Numbnutz is right about the amp. 40 watts isn't much, and it isn't shit if it's a cheap amp cause of the distortion. Trask recommends at least 100 watts, but quality watts...meaning you'll need to dump at least $1000 on the amp alone (stay far away from those all-in-one receivers; they really suck. Start investing in seperates). Distortion kills - plain and simple. ROCKERS NEED CLEAN POWER

Stick with Bostons -- find yourself a pair of HD9's -- they're 3-ways, and have great range down into the 70kHz range, which is where your sub-wooofer should be picking up for the serious floorshaking anyway.

I got mine at a Scratch&Dent sale at Magnolia years ago, but you might luck into a pair on eBay or somewhere... for $90 each they're still be best speaker deal I could imagine.

woof-

--cd.

Coondog said:

Stick with Bostons -- find yourself a pair of HD9's -- they're 3-ways, and have great range down into the 70kHz range, which is where your sub-wooofer should be picking up for the serious floorshaking anyway.

I got mine at a Scratch&Dent sale at Magnolia years ago, but you might luck into a pair on eBay or somewhere... for $90 each they're still be best speaker deal I could imagine.

woof-

--cd.

That'd be 70Hz, not kHz. Anyway, any of the speakers DFA listed are going to give you solid performance down to around 40Hz, and unless you're listening to a lot of techno or shit like that, you don't really need a sub. If you do get a sub, make sure it integrates well with your speakers, or your system will sound like -- you guessed it -- shit.

trask said:

I agree with Flash. In general, subs suck...'cept at the movies. That said, I have one, but it wasn't exactly cheap and it took me and a good friend from Magnolia hi-fi about three tries to get the right one for my cabin. I use it sparingly, and never with jazz or blues.

Does the sub rattle the staples out of the tar paper?

The problem with the speaker was not being under powered, but that the resiliency of the foam around the cone is gone. It's become very brittle over time, it seems.

Really depends on what sort of listening you're doing, and to what. If you're using the system for the aforementioned deep-bass types of music and/or for home theater shit, a sub can really rock your shit. If it's carefully integrated with your system, a la Trask's, a sub can be a beautiful thing. Or, if your system is only average anyway, the sub is probably not going to make things sound any worse, although if it doesn't sound nice and "tight", your bass will be all boomy and sloppy and will wash out a lot of the other good stuff going on in your music. Just depends on what you're after with your sound, ultimately.

Does anybody think like I do that today's auto audio is actually worse than 20+ years ago? There's too much bass, and something missing in midrange.

I can't remember anything better than the sound of the Velvet Underground's Rock 'N Roll on my power-boosted audio in 1977, rolling home at 3am...

It's just the idiots that think bass is the only thing worth accentuating in music. Good music reproduction doesn't even enter most people's minds; it's all about more boom. Too bad what you get is a bunch of distorted, loose, low-end boom, and of course the audible-from-a-block-away rattle of license plate bracket, trim, mirrors, loose change, etc. It's perfectly possible to get a great sounding mobile audio system with good, punchy bass that underscores the music like it should and contributes positively to the mix. But most idiots don't know any better.

Considering the popularity of completely worthless one-hit-wonder music and the exorbitant prices people are willing to pay the megacorporations that own the artists producing it, it's pretty clear that most people don't give music much thought at all. If they did, they might realize that there's a whole fuckin' galaxy of talented bands who are concerned with producing consistently good music, and who care about their fans, not moving more "units" and making a 5,000% profit on their t-shirt sales.

Fuck corporate music and shitty sonic reproduction!

Very cool post and right on. Personally, I'm sick of the boom, boom, boom. I'm goin' back to black.

On edit, to be perfectly honest, I really believe that 99% of music lovers have never really heard a good stereo. I mean a really good stereo. They cost a lot of money and therefore most people cheap out on the $600 unit that sounds really tinny and weak at normal listening levels. Here come the subs to accentuate the bass...really only complicating the issue. I'm not trying to be a snob, but goddamn, great sounding music costs a few bucks.