Pharmaceuticals--etc., & bivouaking

johndavidjr

Sleeping pills. I found them useful at altitude in Mexico. Also somewhat useful in noisy Bugaboo Hut at night & also to wait out boring weather there (possibly an abuse, but also good to muster strength). I also use them for aircraft travel. Main complaint is they don't work as well as other meds (but no hangover). A French corporate chemist sed the pills cause short-term memory loss when taken chronically. U.S. 1963 Everest climbers relied on both uppers & downers supplied by Natl' Geographic Magazine (sortta).

Edited by johndavidjr

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what type of sleeping meds? standard over the counter such as diphenhydramine HCl (I think it's what is in bendryl too?) work by slowing you heart-rate and breathing. I've heard from some that it can be dangerous to take them at higher elevations. anybody know about this?

Beware sleeping pills at altitude!!

They slow your breathing and will make you sick. Most will make you groogy in the am. Sonata , by Wyeth-Ayerst is the pill to take it works in a 4 hr window and the stuff is out of your system after that. It doesnt slow you down as it works on your mind rather than slow your body. I havent found anything better and I have tried them all,

I highly suggest you try the fantastic Rasta Bivy Kitâ„¢ from Alpine Kind Technologies. It has been field tested at altitude (see Muir Hut Study of 2001), and has dozens of stoaked customers... some comments after using the bivvy kit:

"Huhhhhh, fuckin plab"

- gapertimmy

"Yeah, I'll pee in your butt"

- Cpt. Caveman

"Honestly, I love clipping bolts"

- Dwayner

"YOU ARE JUST THUPER!!!! SO THUPER!"

- Richard Simmons

I cant believe I made the mistake of emailing this thread to pharmacutical professionals that I know. I had hopes there could be intelligent discussion and information exchange on a relevant topic. My mistake and I hope you are not offended>

I agree with Dru's basic views. Didn't consider breathing/heart rate thing, but they only seemed to work for a couple of hours, especially in Mexico, once you get used to them. I forget brand-- relatively new. Amused to think how the 1963 Everest group probably had the real good stuff & openly popped pills -- fully optimistic regarding drug use. Me too, I guess, but am thinking more now in terms of surgery though.

wayne1112 said:

I cant believe I made the mistake of emailing this thread to pharmacutical professionals that I know. I had hopes there could be intelligent discussion and information exchange on a relevant topic. My mistake and I hope you are not offended>

Ugh, he got me too. For a minute there I thought it was a legit thread. cantfocus.gifhahaha.gif

standing around at the Grand-whatever hut on Orizaba chatting with guided group including young doctor-- a couple of other guys came down from high camp- one of them not looking too good-- so this young doctor was going on & on about various pills he & his wife had taken, or brought along, & one might give the hiker, but the doc didn't do anything as it appeared that for the hiker, getting to lower elevation was most important thing. I found it increasingly a factor from hut at 14,000 but of course it all depends on acclimatizing time. I turned around at about 16,000. Speaking of drugs, feeling of drunkeness was slightly amusing but kinda unnerving & definitely uncomfortable though no headache or nausea.