Geologist requested

philfort

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those are porphyritic.

the starbursts are phenocrysts ... crystals that froze out of the magma at depth while the background matrix was still molten. At a later time and shallower depth the background darker rock mass froze quickly into a much finer grained texture.

but then I am not a geologist. Maybe I should limit my comments to ..."oooo pretty!" ... where did you find these?

"The rock (of Mt Thompson) is andesite of the Naches Formation, typical of the region." ... so says Beckey. This is in the scree below the peak. We didn't see any of these rocks on the peak itself, but there were a lot mixed in in the talus.

Here's as good a closeup as I have:

38weirdrock2closeup.jpg

We hypothesized that they were snowflake fossils tongue.gif

Well, anyway, I thought it looked cool...

Edited by philfort

Phil,

I remember seeing those things up around Mt. T. You didn't climb that chosspile did you?

My second took a fall on the W. ridge due to a broken hold which pulled me through a tree and off my belay stance. Scraped/bruised me up pretty good and taught me to keep my toprope belay tight or to belay off the anchor. Then on rapping the descent, a rock hit my partner in the arm and she couldn't feel it for two days...

Anyway, I hope you had a better outing on it than I did.