Jumping cactus

catbirdseat

I was scrambling around trying to get a photo of a very rustic looking abandoned aquaduct in the Oroville area and encountered a nasty I hadn't met before. Jumping cactus.

In the deserts of the Southwest, there is a cactus known as the cholla and that is sometimes referred to as "jumping cactus". That stuff is easy to avoid because by and large there is no grass around and it is tall. This stuff "hides". It is very hard to spot, even if you are looking.

I was in shorts and tennis shoes. Suddenly there is pain in my calf. I look down and there is a piece of cactus stuck in my skin. This happened twice- one in the each calf muscle. It's only a few inches high, but when you step on it, it flings a piece upwards up to a foot off the ground. Eventually, I got to where I could spot the plant and avoid it. Amazing how quickly one learns in response to pain.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

catbirdseat said:

I was scrambling around trying to get a photo of a very rustic looking abandoned aquaduct in the Oroville area and encountered a nasty I hadn't met before. Jumping cactus.

In the deserts of the Southwest, there is a cactus known as the cholla and that is sometimes referred to as "jumping cactus". That stuff is easy to avoid because by and large there is no grass around and it is tall. This stuff "hides". It is very hard to spot, even if you are looking.

I was in shorts and tennis shoes. Suddenly there is pain in my calf. I look down and there is a piece of cactus stuck in my skin. This happened twice- one in the each calf muscle. It's only a few inches high, but when you step on it, it flings a piece upwards up to a foot off the ground. Eventually, I got to where I could spot the plant and avoid it. Amazing how quickly one learns in response to pain.

It's got the defense mechanisms of J_B! boxing_smiley.gif

What on gods green earth were you doing in OROVILLE???? Speaking as a graduate from Oroville High School, I can say that...

Yes, Jumping cactus. they are well known to the natives. A cross between a prickly pear and a mexican jumping bean. They can leap all the way up to get you when you are riding (a horse) too. They are pretty stealthy, you don't see them until they've gotten you. they also jump from host to host. Say your dog gets one, before you can even ask whay she's whimpering about

it's got you, too... well camouflaged...

the way we used to get rid of the patches of them on our property when I was young and silly was a propane torch. cook the bastards.

Hope you got all the spineys out, they can cause a bit of an abscess if left in... I probably still have tips working their way through my body like porcupine quills.

Did you get to climb Omak Crack?

icegirl said:

What on gods green earth were you doing in OROVILLE???? Speaking as a graduate from Oroville High School, I can say that...

Yes, Jumping cactus. they are well known to the natives. A cross between a prickly pear and a mexican jumping bean. They can leap all the way up to get you when you are riding (a horse) too. They are pretty stealthy, you don't see them until they've gotten you. they also jump from host to host. Say your dog gets one, before you can even ask whay she's whimpering about

it's got you, too... well camouflaged...

the way we used to get rid of the patches of them on our property when I was young and silly was a propane torch. cook the bastards.

Hope you got all the spineys out, they can cause a bit of an abscess if left in... I probably still have tips working their way through my body like porcupine quills.

Did you get to climb Omak Crack?

My wife has a friend who lives in that area. It was a trip to visit her. Her friend is something of a phenom in the area of precious metal refining.

I didn't get to climb, even though I had brought my shoes. I didn't have a partner and I didn't know there were any climbing areas nearby. I had the vague notion that there would be time to get up to Skaha, but I was deluded.