Rockies Montana ice

Cpt.Caveman

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about 8 hours to Missula, 12 to Bozeman...give or take depending on conditions over the pass in Idaho.

There are some big ice routes in Glacier, but you may need a snowmobile to get in there. Or plan on a long ski in. There are a few routes near Missula. And tons of cool stuff in Bozeman. Again, road conditions into Hyalite can make or break a trip.

Look for the Montana Ice Guide by Ron Bronkhorst(sp.) And checkout Montanaice.com or something like that.

There is great ice in Montana, but the BC Rockies arn't a whole lot further.

Most of the established ice-climbing is near Bozeman (check out www.montanaice.com for pretty detailed information). One of the nice things about Bozeman is that it's fairly close to Cody, Wyoming, also (about 2 hours drive time). There are established routes in Glacier, but be aware of avalanche conditions (www.iceclimb.com/MT.html has some information gleaned from AAJ reports).

Montana folk are close with their route information, so there's probably a lot more climbs that have been done.

I haven't made the drive from Seattle.

Barrel Mountaineering may give you the scoop if you call them. They seemed pretty cool. Just tell them you are from Idaho or Alaska Do NOT say you are a microsoftie from Seattle.

You can also call Northern Lights Trading.

There is a ton of frozen stuff around Bozeman and cheap hotels too. You can stay at a unabomber camper if you don't mind 4 degrees temps in the camper.

We have it at the Gym...oh wait, no nevermind you wouldn't come down there anyway. [chubit]

Some good tics in Hyalite(Grade 3-4)are...

Twin FallsThe DribblesPalisade FallsMummy 2 +The SceptorAnything in the Genesis area

Cleopatras Needle is an awsome WI5 - big fat pillar, 2 pitches.

Thrill is Gone is the best intro to hyalite mixed climbing.

Also check out the Green Gully in Paradise Valley south of Livingston.

Blodgett Canyon near Missula has a couple of grade 3's.

Lots of cool stuff 2 hours down the road in Cooke City Wy. my favorite grade 3+, 4 there is Hydromonster.

Cody rocks, but is more like 3-4 hours from Bozeman. Trust me. Fastest I've made it to the 'Zone from Seattle was 11 hours, in the summer, pissing in a cup. La Parillia is the best burrito place in the Northwest.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Lambone ]