Tourons

EWolfe

Was thinking about the funny thing they say when asking about climbing smirk.gif.

Once at Smith routesetting, I was fully loaded down, and a guy at the overlook, seeing his girl was impressed, says:

"He just carries all that gear so he will get photographed." rolleyes.gifhahaha.gif

Another time, on the trail to Little Si, a guy, obviously a farmer, turns to his younger hiking partner upon seeing a sporto walk by with harness & draws on (for the approach rolleyes.gif), and says: "I have snaplinks just like that on my tractor." tongue.gif

And an old lady said to me, grasping pretty well the concept for a non-climber: "How do you climbers thread those loops?"

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was climbing the rocks below the lookout at Mt. Pilchuck and looked up to see a peanut gallery of tourists peering down on me from the deck. One of them even offered up some route finding advice, "hey, I think it looks easier if you go that way" (pointing).

BTW, I don't recommend that place as a climb. You might well reach for a hold and find broken glass.

ctuller said:

The funnest tourons are those scattered around Devils Tower.

always asking about what it's like up top. I tell them there's a big lake up there and everyone is hanging out having a party. rolleyes.gif

try discussing the tecnical aspects of rope management to an inquisitive cowboy hat wearing fat touron after eating the paper. luckily my partner was much more skilled at handling such situations.

mushsmile.gif

Bouldering at Mt. Erie I kept falling off a problem I was attempting. The problem was below a lookout area and a group of tourists where watching me. After I had slipped off what seemed like the hundreth time one of em says to me "looks like you need better shoes." - - The funny thing is I was wearing a very tight fitting pair of anasazi lace ups!

Oh yeah, and if you don't like broken glass you shouldn't go to Mt. Erie either.

Mr._Natural said:

ctuller said:

The funnest tourons are those scattered around Devils Tower.

always asking about what it's like up top. I tell them there's a big lake up there and everyone is hanging out having a party. rolleyes.gif

try discussing the tecnical aspects of rope management to an inquisitive cowboy hat wearing fat touron after eating the paper. luckily my partner was much more skilled at handling such situations.

mushsmile.gif

My partner each time has had much more patience than I. I usually get back to the parking lot a good half hour before him as he takes the time to stop and talk with anyone who is curious....he's really the perfect guy for the job.

I'm impressed with the climbing demo the park rangers give. They have a mini-mini wall outside the visitor's center where they show how gear is placed, how the rope is clipped, and more.

My tradition is to see just how big a lie the tourists will believe. My fav was a touron (who had obviously seen part of the rangers demo) that asked 'why we weren't allowed to pound those spikes into the rock any more.' Because the tower is hollow and filled with water and they're afraid we'll crack it open and make a big mess if we keep making the cracks bigger......I think he bought it.

My other favorite (already posted a time or 2 in related threads) was while I was waiting for my partner to make his way back to the parking lot. I was sitting in the shade behind a row of binoculars mounted on posts for the tourons to use. One old guy said "I just don't know how they can climb with those vultures sitting at the top just waiting for them to fall." I piped up and said "It's actually kinda tough to climb knowing all of you vultures are down here just waiting for us to fall."

Needless to say, we didn't talk much more after that.