Sheer Bloody Poetry

Peter_Puget

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't usually read in entirety the articles people link to this site, but this one i did. i found it fascinating. i can't say i agree with all of his ideas and statements, but it definitely made me think and it's something that will start stewing itself in my head.

but maybe that's just because i consider myself an anti-capitalist intellectual. innocent.gif

What is an intellectual anyway? It is such a nebulous word that is bandied about as though everyone was in agreement about exactly who was being referred to. The guy makes so many sweeping generalizations it is ridiculous.

The guy makes so many sweeping generalizations it is ridiculous. hahaha.gif

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

couldn't even get through the article.

Guy sounded like a typical 'wordsmith' 'intellectual' to me. Full of crap and getting paid to dish it out.

Probably got a master degree in that shit. G'me a fuckin break! Talk about right wing bullshit.

The essay/article sucks from a prose standpoint. Guess the author is not a wordsmith, I mean intellectual, I mean anti-capitalist. Hell, I don't know what he's trying to get at. An essay for the sake of an essay, ignored by many, forgotten over time, and archived on the dusty lowest shelf of history.

My question is: why the hell does he use the word "wordsmith" as a catch-all for intellectuals opposed to capitalism or intellectuals of the far left? Right-wingers can be wordsmiths too. In short, the ability to write has nothing really to do with your political/socio-economic views. My opinion is he should have found a better word than wordsmith. I guess you could say he should have wordsmithed his way past 'wordsmith.'

Brainiacs are also anti-cap because capitalism has lately allowed massive media monopolies to arise, which serve to stifle independent viewpoints and research.

Jordrop - Reread the first sentence in the third paragraph and it will become appearent that he is not refering to "braniacs" at all.

Egads!

Please elaborate further on this as well as it seem to be a non sequitor:

"I love Darwinian justifications and explanations for capitalism. They're so neat and tidy "

PP bigdrink.gif

Peter_Puget said:

OK Jordrop what % of Anthropology PHDs get good jobs in private industry? I think he would be in complete agreement that there are smart types in private industry.

PP

Edited by jordop

he defines an intellectual as only those who do not work in private sector

He never made that definition!!

I will pay the first hour of beer at the next PC if you prove me wrong.(Up t0 $200)

that Freudian side of dislocation

Please explain further I believe you are missing something.

PP

Third paragraph. First use of 'wordsmith':

"By intellectuals, I do not mean all people of intelligence or of a certain level of education, but those who, in their vocation, deal with ideas as expressed in words, shaping the word flow others receive. These wordsmiths include poets, novelists, literary critics, newspaper and magazine journalists, and many professors. It does not include those who primarily produce and transmit quantitatively or mathematically formulated information (the numbersmiths) or those working in visual media, painters, sculptors, cameramen. Unlike the wordsmiths, people in these occupations do not disproportionately oppose capitalism. The wordsmiths are concentrated in certain occupational sites: academia, the media, government bureaucracy."

He initially uses the word 'wordsmith' here to label one side of his argument. The others would be non-wordsmiths (he cites "numbersmiths" as his example). From then on, he applies the label 'wordsmith' regularly throughout the essay.

If his point was solely to say that a wordsmith has a tendency to be a left-wing, anti-capitalist intellectual, then I think this is an error because it is a sweeping generalization. So what if someone knows how to write, how to be a wordsmith. I have written poetry, a novel, critical views, and professed/instructed, and would consider myself a 'wordsmith.' I am not a left-wing anti-capitalist intellect, though. Two of these three things I'm not. I'll let you choose the one I am. grin.gif

Hey guys,

All that intellectual stuff they're pumping you full of at school: it's bad for you. You need to lay off before you start to believe that the stuff you're talking about actually has meaning.

It's just a game you play to get employment Ok? Don't take it seriously. Sheesh!

The article is a piece of trash. You're arguing over meaningless trash.

Hmm... but I guess if you're getting a masters degree in arguing over trash and you need the practice then go ahead. My bad.

Sloth_Man said:

Hey guys,

All that intellectual stuff they're pumping you full of at school: it's bad for you. You need to lay off before you start to believe that the stuff you're talking about actually has meaning.

It's just a game you play to get employment Ok? Don't take it seriously. Sheesh!

The article is a piece of trash. You're arguing over meaningless trash.

Hmm... but I guess if you're getting a masters degree in arguing over trash and you need the practice then go ahead. My bad.

Amen, brother sloth man! I now quit this thread for good. wave.gif

Peter_Puget said:
Brainiacs are also anti-cap because capitalism has lately allowed massive media monopolies to arise, which serve to stifle independent viewpoints and research.

Jordrop - Reread the first sentence in the third paragraph and it will become appearent that he is not refering to "braniacs" at all.

Egads!

Please elaborate further on this as well as it seem to be a non sequitor:

"I love Darwinian justifications and explanations for capitalism. They're so neat and tidy "

PP bigdrink.gif

Edited by jordop