NE ridge Black peak TR

leejams

JoshK and myself slogged up to wing lake Saturday. Still some snow at the rainy pass parking area. The Lake anne heather pass trail is dry in spots deep conslolidated snow in others with very little damage from past winter.

Heather pass to wing lake is all snow but snow shoes not needed. Bivvyed at the lake and started up to the NE ridge around 8 a.m. Climbed an outstanding ridge climb to the summit. 4 hours from wing lake including a lunch break. Soloed 95% of it as it is good climbing/rock. The exposure is pretty good but once you got used to it the climbing was pretty straightforward. An excellent climb. Great weather and partner thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lee, thanks again for the great climb! mucho fun.

erik, it's a great day climb, save for a bit of choss down low. lee and I were both in the mood for a relaxed weekend+bivy, but easily done in a moderate day. great solo to a very cool summit and awesome views! bigdrink.gifrockband.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The hubba and I did this same climb this past weekend. Great trip! Not nearly as much loose rock as Nelson and Potterfield Select II lead me to expect. Otherwise their description was right on. Highly recommend it as a good first alpine ridge climb, though if its your first you might not want to solo the whole thing. Nothing over ~5.4 and mostly very low 5th, stunning views, great exposure, and easy route-finding. Descent was even pleasant, and because its the ascent route for the S Ridge its heavily travelled and easy to find.

Amazed only to find two other parties up there on a sunny long weekend...

Still almost all snow from Heather Pass to Wing Lake and up to the NE Ridge. Definitely doable in a day, especially if you'll be comfortable unroped on most or all of the climb (we were passed by a guy who was practically running up it in mtneering boots wave.gif) but the basin around Wing Lake is so gorgeous I'd recommend spending the night there...

Go do it! thumbs_up.gif

Wing lake is just starting to get some open leads, but definitely not melted out yet. Larch Lake also still has a significant amount of ice.

Yeah, I noticed all the larch trees and thought it would be cool to see in Fall.

I'll definitely be heading back into the area at some point!