Renting Gear

jj221

A group of us will be in the North Cascades this summer. The group includes some of the cheapest people in the world form the SW of the United States. Since they have little to no opportunity to use a mountain axe in their indigenous environment they are reluctant to buy one. They are wondering is there a reliable place for a stranger to rent a mountain axe? The required use time will be about six days. These people are so cheap that even a $5.00 savings makes it worth their pathetic time.

P.S. the group will be flying into Seattle.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rent axes and anything else you might need at REI, find their 1-800 number for their Seattle store online.

RMI at Ashford rents anything you'd need, too, if you're doing Rainier. In the past they've also run rentals out of their facilty at Paradise.

Feathered Friends rents crampons, maybe more.

Best bet may be to make a few friends here at cc.com and borrow some crummy old axes while you're here....I know I've got an old clunker sitting around, others may, too. For the price of a few pitchers of beer and some climbing stories it may be the perfect solution.

What routes are you planning on?

I didn't realize New Jersey was in the SW..........

It is the Texans and New Mexicans of our group who want to know (as well as being cheap they are too useless to sign-up on your site and ask a question for themselves).

Routes for Consideration: West & East Ridge of Forbidden. If conditions look nice skip W & E Ridges and do the NW face of the North Ridge.

Sharkfin Tower- whatever it is in the Select guide- the Northwest face seems more enjoyable to me.

Sahale Peak for the hikers.

Mt. Torment- Northwest Glacier route, I'm dying for this one. North Ridge as an alternate. The Torment-Forbidden Traverse will probably pop on to the agenda.

It is possible we may nix all of our plans upon inspection of Mt. Johannesburg and take a crack at the NE Rib western Variation.

So as you can see we will be in the Cascade Pass/Boston Basin area. If you have any recommendations for unknown classics for that area I would be happy to hear them.

You might also check to see if they have some used ones for sale at Second Bounce (a seattle used-gear store), or show up at a pubclub on a tuesday night and see what you can borrow. If your friends are able to spring some $ for a pitcher or three, they might ingratiate theirselves with somebody like myself who has an extra axe at home.