Goddamn Indian commercial crabbers again

allthumbs

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

of course it doesn't, but the waters never were given to them... they were merely allowed to fish on them... this can clearly be problematic when international bans on whaling were implemented... whether you view that in...natives as a nation of their own or as a part of this country, hunting whales is a violation of international law and cannot bo allowed in thewaters of a nation that accepted teh moritorium on whaling...hwo could they without being extremely hypocritical confused.gif

Off_White said:

Fence_Sitter said:

oh and off-white...i was in teh army fuckwit the_finger.gif

You were? I guess I can't keep track of everybody's history around here. Aren't you just turned 21, and round about 3rd year in college? Where did your stint fit in? Being a military brat doesn't count...

i left early though after a year because i got a track scholarship to university...so they let you out with a full ride...

Fence_Sitter said:

of course it doesn't, but the waters never were given to them... they were merely allowed to fish on them... this can clearly be problematic when international bans on whaling were implemented... whether you view that in...natives as a nation of their own or as a part of this country, hunting whales is a violation of international law and cannot bo allowed in thewaters of a nation that accepted teh moritorium on whaling...hwo could they without being extremely hypocritical confused.gif

If I give you half of my house in a legal contract, how could I later sell the whole house to the Federal Government so they could build a freeway through it?

Off_White said:

Fence_Sitter said:

If I give you half of my house in a legal contract, how could I later sell the whole house to the Federal Government so they could build a freeway through it?

are you talking about emminent domain? i'm not sure what yor point is confused.gif

hunting whales is a violation of international law and cannot bo allowed in thewaters of a nation that accepted teh moritorium on whaling

not for the tribes that get a quota from the IWC (Makahs have a quota). i guess it means the IWC is more sensible than you are to the needs of native tribes.

Why is there still no whale on my plate if the natives can't hunt it? Furthermore, why did I just eat crab the other night and salmon last night if the Indians are eating all my crab and salmon? Why is my belly always full? Why do I fart so much? Why do political discussions on cc.com smell like my ass?

Just some intriguing questions that this thread brought up while listening in... wave.gif

j_b said:

hunting whales is a violation of international law and cannot bo allowed in thewaters of a nation that accepted teh moritorium on whaling

not for the tribes that get a quota from the IWC (Makahs have a quota). i guess it means the IWC is more sensible than you are to the needs of native tribes.

no shit we were talking about before this happened.... it only happened recently... rolleyes.gif

Off_White said:

No, I'm arguing that if you give something to someone, you can't then give it away to someone else. Lets bring the idea down to an even more personal level: If I gave you a new rope, I couldn't then tell Erik to drop by your house and take it.

this isn't the same...you aren't giving it to someone else... you are saying that no-one can do it... nearly the entier world banned whaling (except some asiatic countries) we defied international law (which we ratified) to allow indians to hunt for reasons of conscience... it is different...it would be like if i gave you a gun...then guns got outlawed....then you cant keep it, can you?

no shit we were talking about before this happened.... it only happened recently...

it happened recently because the Makahs had not applied for a quota from the IWC. Native tribes in alaska and russia always could get a quota after the whaling ban on commercial whale hunting.

j_b said:

no shit we were talking about before this happened.... it only happened recently...

it happened recently because the Makahs had not applied for a quota from the IWC. Native tribes in alaska and russia always could get a quota after the whaling ban on commercial whale hunting.

so? the point is that if it is illegal for the entire global comunity, there should be no exceptions, even if they were mistreated...hell every one of our nations were mistreated at some point in time... no exceptions applies to natives as well as teh asiatic countries which choose not to ratify teh international bans...

Outline of a stinky thread:

I. Trask Trolls

II. Initial replies by Trask's fans telling him to suck it.

III. Fence Sitter rallies to Trask's defense

IV. Trask abandons Fence Sitter

V. Fence sitter high-jacks thread and creates an argument of his own choosing, depending on how his last response was taken.

VI. This goes on for a LONG time.

VII. Trask trolls some more.

I don't think we've allowed the Makah to hunt for reasons of conscience, and for sure the courts don't recognize that argument. I really think its all about the treaties, which are essentially contracts we have entered into with what we agreed at the time to treat as soverign nations. That's what makes the whole issue so meaty, what happens when you make different agreements with different entities? Truth be told, I don't know the right of it, and my personal feelings on Makah whaling are pretty mixed, but I know its not about feeling sorry for the Indians (yes, that term is widely used within Indian Country itself). As they themselves assert, they don't want special treatment, they want the US to keep its legally given promises.

j_b said:

invading Iraq is a violation of international law but it didnt stop F_S from cheerleading it so why is he using it as an argument now? confused.gif

E-rock said:

Outline of a stinky thread:

I. Trask Trolls

II. Initial replies by Trask's fans telling him to suck it.

III. Fence Sitter rallies to Trask's defense

IV. Trask abandons Fence Sitter

V. Fence sitter high-jacks thread and creates an argument of his own choosing, depending on how his last response was taken.

VI. This goes on for a LONG time.

VII. Trask trolls some more.

Damn, you make it sound like you've seen it before. Anyway, I had fun arguing back and forth with Fence Sitter, regardless of the root of the issue. My apologies if you felt compelled to sit in against your will.