Very Interesting

erik

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually this is a great story. The republicans in the Texas legislature want to ram through some very unpalatable bills. Since they have a majority, the only way the dems have of blocking the legislation is to prevent a quorum. They have taken it on the lam. Last seen in Oklahoma, I hear. The Reprobate Repubs are using homeland security to track down the Dems and drag them back to Texas. Gotta love it.

fence this is not the 1st time this has been used and certainly not the 1st time it has been used in texas.

this is about the abuse of power. using homeland security to acheive an agenda that has nothing to do with the federal government.

please stop your ignorant rantings. you all too often wait to speak and never listen. this will be your lesson for the next few weeks, until you understand that there are two sides and both are correct.

Somehow I find the act of politicians simply being politicians a *lot* less scary than a single party using federal agencies to accomplish political ends. One may be annoying, but it perfectly legal. The other than is completely illegal.

politicians beign politicians is them attending meetings, discussing the topic, and voting, not avoiding quorum so as to prevent a vote of a bill that will pass if voted upon... my point was this, if everyone did this (every majority) NOTHING (litterally) would get done in the goverment... rolleyes.gif

Fence_Sitter said:

politicians beign politicians is them attending meetings, discussing the topic, and voting, not avoiding quorum so as to prevent a vote of a bill that will pass if voted upon... my point was this, if everyone did this (every majority) NOTHING (litterally) would get done in the goverment... rolleyes.gif

given many of the things our politicians have managed to get done, i'm not sure that would be a bad thing

Fence_Sitter said:

You obviously know very little about politics. You should see what the floor of the house looks like at any given time. Rarely does a congressman attend all the committee meetings, hearings etc. And rarely do they all vote on every issue. If they did this, even less would get done than is being done now.

rbw1966 said:

Fence_Sitter said:

You obviously know very little about politics. You should see what the floor of the house looks like at any given time. Rarely does a congressman attend all the committee meetings, hearings etc. And rarely do they all vote on every issue. If they did this, even less would get done than is being done now.

rolleyes.gif that is a bit diferent than becommign a fugitive to prevent the democratic process from comming to fruition...

fence sitter,

this thread is about the abuse of power, not your opinion on how the democratic process should work.

comment on how disgusting that the texas repbulican leader used his contacts to abuse the american people by using federal assests to handle a state issue.

that is fucking all.

Fugitive? They did nothing illegal. A filibuster is a time-honored part of the democratic process (although I don't agree with it) so I see nothing wrong with skipping the state (a de facto filibuster) to prevent passage of legislation you oppose. I would say the same regardless of party affiliation. Again though, I think there should be a better way of building that mousetrap.

erik said:

fence sitter,

this thread is about the abuse of power, not your opinion on how the democratic process should work.

comment on how disgusting that the texas repbulican leader used his contacts to abuse the american people by using federal assests to handle a state issue.

that is fucking all.

i thought, based on the first post that it was about your sexual attraction to ashcroft... i think i came in with a very even hand on both sides and you try to flame me... chill out dood...its just a bbs... fruit.gif

rbw1966 said:

Fugitive? They did nothing illegal. A filibuster is a time-honored part of the democratic process (although I don't agree with it) so I see nothing wrong with skipping the state (a de facto filibuster) to prevent passage of legislation you oppose. I would say the same regardless of party affiliation. Again though, I think there should be a better way of building that mousetrap.

yeah there is nothing wrong with it, but if everyone did it, the system would be even more messed up than it already is. the whole situation wreaks of "i'm going home and i am taking my basketball with me" pouty scholyard boy mentality... i think both sides are fucked up in this situation and this is something that if it becomes a pattern or something for emulation, we could be in for some real trouble...