Stuart Glacier Couloir Climb and Ski

markws

erik said:

JoshK said:

Dalius rockband.gifs too! Talk about trial by fire for a guy's first real experience with mixed and crappy snow&ice climbing! hahaha.gif

SO JOSH WERE YA SCARED UP THERE, SINCE IT WAS YER FIRST TIME? DONT WORRY I AM SURE STEBBI WAS GENTLE AT 1ST!!!!

hahaha.gif

No, I was talking about Dalius. But you are still a sick bastard. hahaha.gifwink.gif

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Josh was a bit scared up there I think. Probably not as scared as I was when I followed what he had just been leading though hellno3d.gif

I'm bringing a mallet for my next rime ice climb. It'll fit just dandy with the chainsaw and machete on the Cascades rack evils3d.gif

The couloir was swell though. Took about 2 hours to climb and we didn't rope up until we'd gained the ridge.

Nelson says the character of the climb is dominated by the snow and ice in the couloir - not right now it isn't.

Alpinfox said:That west ridge was heinous with big snow mushrooms all over the "mid 5th class" rock.

Alpinfox, sounds like you had a similar experience. We got up there, expecting to find 5.6 blocky rock with some snow on it, but ended up finding a bunch of crap ice with a little rock hidden under it. 5.6 rock my ass. You could barely even see any rock! Like Josh said, some pitches required hours of excavation.

So what is it? Why do the guidebooks suggest that you'll find 5.6 rock at the top in April and May? Why don't they say "mixed adventure climbing"? Is this year so different that the snow and ice are sticking around way later or is this the norm for this route this time of year?

John, aka Juan, did you say you thought about rapping down to us? That was me belaying the guys up when I saw you on top. The terrain we were in must have looked pretty interesting from up there. Turned out to be some rockin' rockband.gif weather huh, considering the nastiness up there the night before? Too bad we couldn't swap tales over brews, but we didn't hike out until 3:30 this morning. shocked.gif Thanks again for the boot path.

No he was going to lower GU not rap.

He probably saw you at the belay and instantly figured out you didn't have any GU yellaf.gif

I guess the rime is normal, first time I climb a mountain this big and steep under these conditions though so I don't really know. That ice was so useless though! Bash bash, nothing solid to stick a pick in but still solid enough to resist clearing. Fucked up! Mixed adventure climbing, that's right.

dalius said:

So what is it? Why do the guidebooks suggest that you'll find 5.6 rock at the top in April and May? Why don't they say "mixed adventure climbing"? Is this year so different that the snow and ice are sticking around way later or is this the norm for this route this time of year?

This year is very very different! By May in a typical year all that stuff in the Stuart range and in Boston Basin is well on its way to melting away for the season! Not this year.

Consider that in a normal year, getting on Triple Couloirs after mid-APRIL is pushing it if you want to get on alpine ice.

Consider that people were water ice climbing in the Olympics in April!

Everything so far says that this late Winter and cold Spring is making everything 4-6 weeks later than normal. Except Index Town Walls!!