Recent N Face Dragontail Photo

Colin

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, Alex, OK.

Forrest and I climbed the NW Face Couloir on Stuart on Sunday, after hiking in on Saturday. It was a route I'd been eyeing for a while, and I thought it was pretty cool. I think that it will come into better condition in the weeks to come (with more consolidation of snow and formation of ice). As of now, I think I'd call it AI3X - only AI3 because it was low-angle, but "X" because it was pretty thin.

We didn't take snowshoes, and I think that it was just barely the right choice. By the next weekend, I think that not taking snowshoes will undeniably be the way to go. From the tracks we saw it looked like a couple guys climbed the Stuart Glacier Couloir Thurs-Fri.

Alrighty - now how 'bout those pictures guys!

A buddy of mine and I climbed Dragontail/TC yesterday. No pictures, but the look, conditions and route were exactly the same as when iceguy and dbb were up there on 4/20, great snow/ice/alpine conditions. It's snowed a few times in the last week, and there was new snow/powder from the lake to the summit. Some nice deep powder from the Aasgard pass elevation up.

They've got pictures in the Alpine Lakes Forum, Triple Couloirs - 4/20/03 post. They've also got a great TR with pictures on dbb's website here.

Hey: I just posted some pictures of Dragontail over in the gallery that I'll link-up here as well. I've got a few other shots of the aspect that you pass by on your way up the Colchuck Glacier, so let me know if you want any close-ups of those aspects and I'll upload them. 1282dragontail_facesm-med.jpg

1282dragontail_from_colchuck_summitsm-med.jpg

The Mountains put on quite a show that afternoon - We watched at least a dozen avalanches roar down various sunlit aspects between about 5:00 and 7:00 PM on Saturday Evening.... 0late_afternoon_avy_on_dragontail-med.jpg

Colin said:

We didn't take snowshoes, and I think that it was just barely the right choice. By the next weekend, I think that not taking snowshoes will undeniably be the way to go. From the tracks we saw it looked like a couple guys climbed the Stuart Glacier Couloir Thurs-Fri.

We met some people in that area on saturday or sunday that said they had met (sounds like bad gossip, eh) the guys who had attempted stuart glacier coulior. Apparently they bailed due to lots of new unconsolidated snow or some such. This is third hand so beats me if it's the same party or even true at all.

We had hope to get ice cliff glacier (originally planned for sutart glacier coulior) today but it rained hard and steady for 3 or 4 hours this morning. madgo_ron.gif I think the decision to call of the climb was justified when the clouds finally parted somewhat and I could see what appeared to be several hundred feet of rock/ice littered below the left side of the ice cliff that appeared new. ooo.gifhellno3d.gif Not sure what happend, if it was a serac collapse, etc. but I'm glad I wasn't there when it went.

JoshK said:

"I think the decision to call of the climb was justified when the clouds finally parted somewhat and I could see what appeared to be several hundred feet of rock/ice littered below the left side of the ice cliff that appeared new. Not sure what happend, if it was a serac collapse, etc. but I'm glad I wasn't there when it went. "

Forrest and I were lounging in the tent Saturday afternoon, when we suddenly heard a very loud noise, that couldn't have been wind or an airplane. I popped my head out of the tent door, and saw a giant ice-cloud avalanche-type-thing blasting out from the moraine below the ice cliff glacier. I snapped a couple pictures, and then closed the tent door as the ice-mist enveloped our tent (which was way down near the marsh, by the way). After a minute I looked out and you could see where a serac had broken off. It was exciting, but a bit scary at first.

Colin said:

Forrest and I were lounging in the tent Saturday afternoon, when we suddenly heard a very loud noise, that couldn't have been wind or an airplane. I popped my head out of the tent door, and saw a giant ice-cloud avalanche-type-thing blasting out from the moraine below the ice cliff glacier. I snapped a couple pictures, and then closed the tent door as the ice-mist enveloped our tent (which was way down near the marsh, by the way). After a minute I looked out and you could see where a serac had broken off. It was exciting, but a bit scary at first.

Yikes...I don't feel so bad leaving empty handed now. ooo.gif As if that ice cliff isn't imposing enough the cornice at the top of the exit coulior looks mighty threatening too.