Cheap MRI or any other suggestion?

I have been living with pretty severe upper back pain for the past 6 weeks. My right arm is weak and painful, night & day. It is really starting to get to me and fuck my attitude about climbing and life in general. I am beyond the tough guy, gut it out and don't be a puss phase.

I went to see a quacktopractor, no help, just hurt my lower back. I saw a very talented new age massage therapist three times, helped for about 12 hours each time, then back to the agony.

So, last Monday I saw a MD. He is pretty sure I have a herniated disk and wants to get an MRI done to be sure after 2 weeks of high doses of anti-inflamitory and cervical traction...I didn't even know I had a cervix. I don't have insurance, so the cost of the MRI has to come out of my climbing budget...know where I can get a cheap one???

Any other suggestions?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how it would apply in Enterprise, TG, but here in Yakima, they have Farm Workers Clinics, where the cost of stuff is considerably less. I don't know if you've got those near you, or if they would even have an MRI machine. You don't have to be a farm worker to go there. I got all my Hep vaccinations there for WAY less than what the hospital ER wanted.

Just a thought, and hope you feel better soon... grin.gif

...sobo

I had heard that yoga was a good way to help back pain. So, one day I screwed up my back, and had shooting pains down my leg for several weeks. I saw a doctor and he recommended an MRI. Looking at the mini torpedo tube, I crawled out quickly after being inserted half way in. So much for machismo. So now it was time for yoga. I did an hour a day for a few days, and the pain was gone. I continued for a while, and my back is fine. I carried heavy packs all summer last year with no problems. I dont know how bad your back is, but don't knock yoga stretches for a good option. wave.gif

I injured my back OTJ several years ago (don't ask me how a desk-bound engineer hurts his back OTJ; I'm still mad at my old boss for that!) My PT had me doing all kinds of exercises and stretches, not the least of which were yoga-style stretches. I still do them to this day, and have never had another back problem. thumbs_up.gif So mtn mouse is right; don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

...sobo

TG,

Are you sure that you don't have any health ins cov'g that helps with this cost?

If you find that you do NOT have a herniated disc or other specific injury, then I recommend a book called Back Sense that I believe came out of Harvard Med School staff about 2 years ago.

Back pain is often a complicated subject. I have lived with off-and-on lower back pain for 20 years. My bro the MD put me on to this book awhile back.

Stretches, massage, the right training...it's all good.