Lower Icicle Canyon/Leavenworth

Retread

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

slaphappy said:

Although I may at times share certain characteristics to a dirtbag, I am more of a dirtball. I have always considered a dirtbag to be another name for a hackysack. bigdrink.gif on!

What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover? The position of the dirtbag.

Chuck: "Is this a call for privatization of USFScampgrounds? hellno3d.gif

-Too late. It has already happened. U.S.Trails. Where have you been?

leithal, Be careful what entities get involved in aquisition. The last thing we need is another fiasco like Peshastin Pinnacles being turned over to the State Park system. It should have become property of some sort of local cooperative entity. You now get expensive tickets for being in the parking lot after a specific hour, which changes. When was the last time you were overdue on a climb? For me it is like 50% of the time.

Slezyjackoffski, No new buildings in the Icicle? Where have you been. Every time I drive up there, there is a new building. Someone will build there. Should it be something that will benefit the climbing community or a private residence that may or may not be ammenable to the climbing public crossing or climbing on their property? You do not need a bunkhouse, momma &pappa's garage works just fine for you. Some of us are sick of getting hassled by "THE MAN". THE MAN is systematically shutting down the "plenty of free places to camp". I took my kid camping up there a couple of weeks ago and hiked into a closed USFS campground. I couldn't use the outhouses because THE MAN has deadbolt locks on all the doors. THE MAN doesn't want anyone to shit in the woods without opening up their wallet. "the truth is, "if you build it THEY will come..." and then the icicle won't be the prestine and vacant place it is....

Sheesh! " The truth is: THEY ARE ALREADY HERE. And the Icicle is not pristine or vacant.

I picture something like a primitive hostel. A place to sleep with a roof. A common area too cook in. Full of people having cool fun; not people in RVs. And CHEAP!!!

Forest Service "management" means shutting out any one who isn't pouring money into a corporate coffer. If "too many people" like to camp in an area, Forest Service standards are violated and the area will be shut down. You can clearcut a salmon spawning drainage until it is a dead mudhole but you cannot camp by the road in Icicle canyon because of the impacts you might cause. If we leave access in control of the Forest Service we won't have any.

Retrosaurus said:

Chuck: "Is this a call for privatization of USFScampgrounds? hellno3d.gif

-Too late. It has already happened. U.S.Trails. Where have you been?

leithal, Be careful what entities get involved in aquisition. The last thing we need is another fiasco like Peshastin Pinnacles being turned over to the State Park system. It should have become property of some sort of local cooperative entity. You now get expensive tickets for being in the parking lot after a specific hour, which changes. When was the last time you were overdue on a climb? For me it is like 50% of the time.

Slezyjackoffski, No new buildings in the Icicle? Where have you been. Every time I drive up there, there is a new building. Someone will build there. Should it be something that will benefit the climbing community or a private residence that may or may not be ammenable to the climbing public crossing or climbing on their property? You do not need a bunkhouse, momma &pappa's garage works just fine for you. Some of us are sick of getting hassled by "THE MAN". THE MAN is systematically shutting down the "plenty of free places to camp". I took my kid camping up there a couple of weeks ago and hiked into a closed USFS campground. I couldn't use the outhouses because THE MAN has deadbolt locks on all the doors. THE MAN doesn't want anyone to shit in the woods without opening up their wallet. "the truth is, "if you build it THEY will come..." and then the icicle won't be the prestine and vacant place it is....

Sheesh! " The truth is: THEY ARE ALREADY HERE. And the Icicle is not pristine or vacant.

I picture something like a primitive hostel. A place to sleep with a roof. A common area too cook in. Full of people having cool fun; not people in RVs. And CHEAP!!!

Still agreeing...

wave.gif

Retrosaurus said:

Slezyjackoffski, No new buildings in the Icicle? Where have you been. Every time I drive up there, there is a new building. Someone will build there. Should it be something that will benefit the climbing community or a private residence

I am sorry people, i just get scared that some moron will decide to slash burn again like the idiots in 1994 when the Tyee Fire was in Full swing in Entiat....The next morning the Rat Creek (never understood this as it started in HOok CK) Fire was threatening the town of Cashmere....

ANd don't say it can't happen again...BUllsheit...there is plenty of fuel in them there hills...

And btw RETROWHEENIE...ya ask where have I been, Well, I've been "Jamn!"

bigdrink.gif

Crackbolter said:

Okay, what to do now? Who has $275,000 they can spare?

Only $275000! Wow, just get a loan from the bank. The payments will probably only be around $2000/month. So, if you charge dirtbag climbers $5/night to hang there you'll only need 400 dirtbags per month staying there 12 months a year to cover the payments! That's less than 15 climbers/night! Oh wait, forgot about building the shelter thing, and the costs of upkeep and stuff... maybe a little more. Better be a big bunkhouse. Maybe we could get the Mounties to overrun it every weekend. That would help the bottom line. frown.gif

chucK said:

Crackbolter said:

Okay, what to do now? Who has $275,000 they can spare?

$5 buck a night?!?!?

What kind of corporate ripoff are you proposing? smileysex5.gif

Only $275000! Wow, just get a loan from the bank. The payments will probably only be around $2000/month. So, if you charge dirtbag climbers $5/night to hang there you'll only need 400 dirtbags per month staying there 12 months a year to cover the payments! That's less than 15 climbers/night! Oh wait, forgot about building the shelter thing, and the costs of upkeep and stuff... maybe a little more. Better be a big bunkhouse. Maybe we could get the Mounties to overrun it every weekend. That would help the bottom line. frown.gif