Stefan

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Stefan:
Does anybody know of any rock climbing potential on the island of Oahu?

chossy pillow basalt (non columnar) covered with vegetation and maybe the odd bouldering problem on the beach.

plan on surfing instead. Jaws!

quote:

Originally posted by Stefan:
Does anybody know of any rock climbing potential on the island of Oahu?

It's not technical climbing, but there are some great scrambling peaks. I was there last week and can recommend Olomana as a great scramble. There are ratty fixed ropes on some exposed sections. Also the standard route on Kaala (highest peak on the island at 4000 feet) is pretty athletic. For a long day, descend the Dupont route from the summit, then retrace your steps on the standard route. You can't exit the Dupont route without permission from several landowners (sigh).

On the flight over I saw a video of technical climbing there, it reminded me of Frenchman's Coulee climbing. There were some obvious bolted cracks, but I was the only one gasping with indignation. Verdict - way too hot for climbing, either go to the ocean or scramble/hike the peaks!

--Michael

I just moved out here from Honolulu. There's some bouldering at Waiamea, but this time of year don't do it with anything over 15 foot Hawaiian. The shore break will get yeah.

Additionally, there's a small crag on the North Shore. It's on private land and the locals there have tried to keep it a secret; one grounder and a suit and the things done. It's actually nice rock considering the rottenness of every thing else on the island. Lots of dihedral cracks. Everything is bolted and there's very little trad placements. Also, and I've never seen anything like this, they've got parachute cord on each route leading up through the anchors and back. If you're inclined to TR, you just tie the rope to the end of one of these pieces of string and hoist away. Have fun and Aloha!