St. Helens - Monitor Ridge Route

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went up with a friend on the 29th and everything was cool. The avalanche statement was pretty grim, but we went right on up the ridge in bright, bright sunlight all day and saw evidence of only a few snowball caused sloughs, and those thrown by some punk teenagers. Snow was firm on the way up (6-11 am), but postholed a lot coming down, especially on the lower ridge and right before treeline. Lots of people and dogs. I give my ex-jock friend crap 'cause he got beat to the top by a pomeranian.

sterlingclimber said:

Anyone been up the Monitor Ridge Route lately? Plan on going this Saturday and was wondering about current conditions.

Thanks

I went up worm flows Sat (and the 30th of March) - the wet surface snow could be easily enticed into sliding, where it would accumulate more (at least on the steeper slopes in gulleys) this past weekend, but not back in March. This past weekend you could ski to the parking lot too! Beware though, the hordes are definitely out on the worm flows now.

"I give my ex-jock friend crap 'cause he got beat to the top by a pomeranian. "

Hey lemon,

That was Roscoe, my pomeranian, that beat your friend to the crater rim. The dog has summit fever. He was pulling on the leash to get to the summit first. He can scramble up most any third class peak but is small enough (10 lbs) to fit in my pack when it gets tough. He must take about 10 times as many steps as we do. St Helens was his first volcano.

Raoul said:

"I give my ex-jock friend crap 'cause he got beat to the top by a pomeranian. "

Hey lemon,

That was Roscoe, my pomeranian, that beat your friend to the crater rim. The dog has summit fever. He was pulling on the leash to get to the summit first. He can scramble up most any third class peak but is small enough (10 lbs) to fit in my pack when it gets tough. He must take about 10 times as many steps as we do. St Helens was his first volcano.

My Grandma has a little pom named Foxy. Really cute but boy was she a bitch when I was little. Hated little kids and I have the scars to prove it! My parents have a picture of her when she was a puppy and she was a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes!