Primal Scream beta

Gaston_Lagaffe

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There was some brushing on a route headed around toward the south end of Squire Creek wall about ten years ago, but I wouldn't expect to find much sign of any trail. Stay low as you pass around the buttress that forms the SE corner of Squire Creek Wall, and expect at least a few hours of battle with salmon berry, slide maple, salal, etc. Once you get over there, good luck identifying the "right" rib -- it is not exactly clear from what information is available which one it is and I would guess they may be difficult to distinguish from below.

I would take your standard rack for a trad route, with gear up to perhaps 3" or so, lots of long runners, and two ropes. I would also carry a couple of knife blades and lost arrows, and a hammer. Chris is very sparse on the beta, and I know of nobody else who has climbed the route, but I believe you will find no bolts on the route and like all Darrington climbs there will be few if any straight-in cracks. Your pro will mostly go behind flakes or be draped around bushes. The rock is lower in angle around that end of the wall than lots of Darrington rock, so bring the sticky shoes.

I haven't been around to the south end of the wall, so I can't tell you much about the descent.

Early season may not be a good time to go -- every time I have been any where near Squire Creek Wall before June I have seen very large avalanches and rockfall.

If you go, send details to David Whitelaw so he can adde it to his new guide. I cant wait to read your trip report!

offwidthclimber said:

the approach is fuckin' SWEET.

MattP and i went there one day with the intentions of checking out primal scream, but didn't get that far. we climbed another nice line instead.

here's a link to a TR i wrote up about the day:

http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/squirecw/marg.txt

cheers,

Yeah, I read that page. Sounded like quite the adventure. I went to the trail head a couple of times last summer and there's a massive landslide that took out like quarter of the road up there. It's quite the sight.