Aveolite Liners vs. Thermoflex Liners

Colin

Aveolite liners are the standard to make a pair of plastic boots warmer, but I've heard that Raichle Thermoflex liners (they make a version particularly for climbing boots, apparently) are significantly warmer, in addition to fitting your feet better.

Anybody have experience with using Thermoflex liners in your climbing boots?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know Aveolite liners but I found that thermoflex liners are great and warm but they don't come with laces so they aren't as tight I am not sure if aveolite liners are that way to.. but I have also noticed the the thermoflex pack out quicker then normal liners. I hope this helps

Skisports said:

I don't know Aveolite liners but I found that thermoflex liners are great and warm but they don't come with laces so they aren't as tight I am not sure if aveolite liners are that way to.. but I have also noticed the the thermoflex pack out quicker then normal liners. I hope this helps

I agree, I wish thermoflex had laces. But theoretically if they're fitted correctly their shouldn't be any extra slop, since they "mold" exactly to the shape of your foot and boot. They do pack out, but in recent years thermoflex has changed to a more of a closed cell foam material that taked longer to pack out then they used to. Also, if they do pack out they can be re-fitted whith out buying new ones to restore them to their former shape. They should be fitted wearing a thin liner sock or even no sock at all. That way when they do start to pack out a bit you can increase your foot volume by wearing a thicker sock over your liner sock. grin.gif

Thanks for the info, guys.

I went to intuitionliners.com - Intuition and Thermoflex are definitely different brands it looks like, but it looks like they are very similar nonetheless. It sounds like they both rock, so I'll probably just go with whatever is easier to get my hands on, or perhaps cheaper.

Colin said:

Thanks for the info, guys.

I went to intuitionliners.com - Intuition and Thermoflex are definitely different brands it looks like, but it looks like they are very similar nonetheless. It sounds like they both rock, so I'll probably just go with whatever is easier to get my hands on, or perhaps cheaper.

Colin, it's probably obvious, but if you have a friend who works at a ski shop (any old shop, downhill, etc.) they should have the machine to mold the liners. That's what I did instead of paying to have them molded as lots of people seemed to want. confused.gif

I've used both. The Alveolites lasted one expedition before the heels feel out.

My Thermoflex liners have lasted me 3 ski seasons so far. This means approximately 120 days on the slopes or in the backcountry. I keep reheating them which allows them to re-expand. You need a convection oven to do this properly. The little boxes at ski shops are exactly that - they blow hot air all around the liners to get an even heating and expansion. If you try this in a regular oven you'll burn them.

The weight savings is also significant over other liners and they are by far, the warmest things I've used.

Check out www.life-link.com for more information. They sell the Dynafit line of boots which come with the Raichle Thermoflex liners. I know Marmot Mountain Works at least used to carry these boots since I used to work at LL and remember shipping out quite a few pairs to them.

I've used raichle thermoflex liners in my tele boots for 5 seasons and they've worn thru at one spot on the heal. So, I picked up an identical set that I had fit last month. Also, I just replaced my climbing boot liner with Intuition liners, and have Dynafit randonnee boots with their brand of thermofit liner.

Besides being broke and rightly accused of being a gear junky by my wife, I've seen a differences in the liners themselves and at lot of difference in the fitting experience.

The Intuition lines expand more than the other 2 brands, so did a better job of filling in around my narrow heal. You can look in and see the difference, much more "pushed out" on the Intuitions. With the Raichle lines I've needed "L" shaped shims around the ankle bones to keep the heal from lifting. However, even on the identical raichle liners with shims, my lifts too much on the new liners.

I think the difference is how they were fit. With the first set the emphasis was on getting the heal in place, then letting them cool with toes elevated to get the heal formed as well as possible. In this latest fitting, the emphasis was on flexing the boot to get the liner to fill the bellows correctly; hence, even with the L shim my heal lifts too much.

I've got a long trip coming up and have decided to go back to my old liners - after a thorough washing to get rid of the stank. frown.gif

One great thing is that my foot bed fits in all 3 boots, so I've saved so money there.

A lot of people "cook" their own thermofit liners. Here's a link that has a short instuctional video. You can also search the site for much discussion on doing it yourself. It's helpful to have someone help, so they can hold the liner at the back top, while you lift and push down your heal several times to make sure any folds are removed.

http://www.telemarktips.com/DrTelemark.html