Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave_Schuldt said:

THAT'S SERIOUS SPRAY!!!! I was hopeing Greg W, jja ect.. would have something to say about this article.

Ok Dave, I'll bite ...

This article shows some of the soul searching that has been going on among the intellectual left. Or at least that part of the left that is still willing to entertain the notion that they might have been mistaken in the past. But the author seems to fall into the trap that many (most?) opponents of the war have - namely they've let their overwhelming hatred of GWB cloud their judgement.

I'll make a confession here. I despised Bill Clinton. All you folks on the left that dislike gw because of Florida, or because you think he's dumb, or because you think he was born with a silver spoon have no idea how much many of us on the right hated BC. I let this cloud my judgement. I opposed Bosnia and Kosovo because it was BC that was president. I was in Bosnia, I saw the good we were doing, but I rationalized away my opposition to the policy anyway. I was wrong.

Do you guys think that maybe, just maybe, you are wrong about this war? Maybe your blind hatred of the president is clouding your judgement?

I'll leave you with the money paragraph from the article you cite, and ask you if you agree with it's premise:

And so are a lot of the protesters. "Violence never solved anything." Really? Violence solved the Holocaust. "Bombs just make more terrorists." Really? We dropped more bombs on Vietnam than we dropped on Europe during World War II. Where are all the Vietnamese terrorists? "Innocent people will die." True enough--but innocent people are dying right now in Iraq. The left's selective empathy is shocking. My lefty pals feel the pain of Iraqi civilians--but only the pain that the U.S. inflicts or might inflict. You don't hear much from the left about the pain that Saddam Hussein inflicts. "War kills the innocent." No, the status quo in the Middle East kills the innocent--and as we've seen in Manhattan and Bali, not just the innocent in the Middle East. War at times is the only hope for an oppressed people--as each Iraqi refugee quickly informs the first Western reporter he can find.

jja said:

Dave_Schuldt said:

THAT'S SERIOUS SPRAY!!!! I was hopeing Greg W, jja ect.. would have something to say about this article.

Ok Dave, I'll bite ...

This article shows some of the soul searching that has been going on among the intellectual left. Or at least that part of the left that is still willing to entertain the notion that they might have been mistaken in the past. But the author seems to fall into the trap that many (most?) opponents of the war have - namely they've let their overwhelming hatred of GWB cloud their judgement.

I'll make a confession here. I despised Bill Clinton. All you folks on the left that dislike gw because of Florida, or because you think he's dumb, or because you think he was born with a silver spoon have no idea how much many of us on the right hated BC. I let this cloud my judgement. I opposed Bosnia and Kosovo because it was BC that was president. I was in Bosnia, I saw the good we were doing, but I rationalized away my opposition to the policy anyway. I was wrong.

Do you guys think that maybe, just maybe, you are wrong about this war? Maybe your blind hatred of the president is clouding your judgement?

I'll leave you with the money paragraph from the article you cite, and ask you if you agree with it's premise:

And so are a lot of the protesters. "Violence never solved anything." Really? Violence solved the Holocaust. "Bombs just make more terrorists." Really? We dropped more bombs on Vietnam than we dropped on Europe during World War II. Where are all the Vietnamese terrorists? "Innocent people will die." True enough--but innocent people are dying right now in Iraq. The left's selective empathy is shocking. My lefty pals feel the pain of Iraqi civilians--but only the pain that the U.S. inflicts or might inflict. You don't hear much from the left about the pain that Saddam Hussein inflicts. "War kills the innocent." No, the status quo in the Middle East kills the innocent--and as we've seen in Manhattan and Bali, not just the innocent in the Middle East. War at times is the only hope for an oppressed people--as each Iraqi refugee quickly informs the first Western reporter he can find.

i changed my mind...nevermind

Edited by Dru