Quads

I went for the first run of the season on Saturday and my quads felt like lead weights and my quads are pretty sore.

I've been biking through the winter and doing a little hiking/climbing, so I'm wondering what the problem was. I'm in good cardio/endurance shape, so is the issue a matter of using fast twitch vs. slow twitch muscles?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I work out my legs with squats, deadlifts, leg extensions, etc. regularly, but I still find that the first actual run (as opposed to even a treadmill) after a while of not running always comes as a shock to me. It just seems that the constant pounding makes me sore no matter what if I am not used to it.

I get two kind of sore when I run. One is the stairs/sprints sore where the legs are tired and overall sore but they feel strong at thesame time. Then there is sore number two which is from running longer distances, where my knees hurt and I get shin splints. I don't like the latter, but I do like the former.

You are going to be sore after your first anything. I went skiing for the first time a couple weeks ago, and despite riding my bike more then I drive and lots of weight lifting I hurt like hell in all the muscles that weren't being used. It will take a few runs for you to get the "snap" back into your legs. Like Dru said stay off pavement for a while.

it is important to be running everyday as i am and you will not then feel soreness. in morning i am running five miles and eating on my way back and all day i am fine. i also suggest that drinking not enough water can cause to much soreness for running when cramps happen. also cold temperature is hard for musle to be warm and work hard. spend time running and eating proper diet and you will have less problem ansd climb much harder little one you are smart to do this.

Agreed, first time back to anything will result in some soreness; best way to minimize it is to ease back in with shorter, gentler runs the first few times until your body is used to the pounding. Rather than cement or pavement, try dirt trails, cinder tracks or the like. And for heaven's sake, if you've been running on a treadmill and have some good mileage racked up, remember that the surfaces are vastly different and trying to do the same mileage outside is asking for stress fractures, shin splints, or other "overuse" injuries from too much, too soon.