2024 Conditions - Snowpack

stever

As someone not local to WA state (I'm from Vancouver, BC) - I'm curious to hear opinions on the snowpack (or lack thereof) this year and how it compares to other drier years...will routes on Rainier, Shuksan and Baker have an earlier and shorter "prime" season before the glacier travel gets complicated? Have been thinking about N Ridge of Baker since the road has been repaired, as well as a route on Shuksan or Rainier, but I fear the lack of snow this year will impact the flexibility of trip planning with a shorter season, or forcing complex glacier travel and more calf burning bare ice? 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/26/2024 at 8:55 AM, stever said:

As someone not local to WA state (I'm from Vancouver, BC) - I'm curious to hear opinions on the snowpack (or lack thereof) this year and how it compares to other drier years...will routes on Rainier, Shuksan and Baker have an earlier and shorter "prime" season before the glacier travel gets complicated?

Yes! We are about 1.5 months ahead of the usual time when access to the volcanoes becomes doable. The coverage on the Baker glaciers above 7k feels "okay". These glaciers also melted a lot last summer... the ice features are changing surprising amounts year-year.

• 2 weeks later...