Index Town Wall ownership

Fromage

Hey gang, can anyone point me to some definitive source that states who owns the land where Index Town Wall is located? I just read the WA State Parks page for Wallace Falls St. Park, and the wording suggested that the climbing area was part of the park. I was under the impression that the USFS owned the land. Any info?

fruit.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last I heard:

Four main ownership groups

1 Individuals

2 Rail company

3 USFS

4 State Parks

Lower Lump

Mostly individuals maybe a bit of Rail ownership

Lower Wall

Individuals until the tunnel then State Parks

Upper Wall

Extreme left portion individuals

All the rest State Parks

Lookout Point

State Parks

Gun Club

USFS

Parking lot

Rail Company

Edited by DCramer

About 8 years ago I spent several hours with a Snohomish county cartographer in trying to figure out ownership issues. The cartographer was excited because I didn't want to talk about some boring subdivision issue. Ownership for some parcels goes back to mining claims. Without a formal survey to determine the exact location of each crag only general guesses can be made regarding property boundaries. I am not aware of any transactions that have changed the situation.

i dunno what the latest ownership is but in the past the problem has been no one wanted to pay for the survey.

That is why the Access Fund put off some of the access problems for the time being.Some of the lower wall and old quarry are privetly owned.

Trivia:

Some of the granite went into the steps of the capital in Olympia

"Lower Wall

Individuals until the tunnel then State Parks

Parking lot

Rail Company"

That's scary information. Dcramer (or others) what's your general feeling about continued access at Index?

In the B'ham area, in the last several years the railroads have been aggressivly shutting down access points and trails that cross their property. Always with little warning. Same at the Malamute in Squish as well.

Also, any probability that City Park will end up as steps of the next library? Has there been an effort to add LTW to the State Park land?

DARIN

FROM WHAT I GET THE QUARRYING AT THE LOWER TOWN IS LONG OVER. THOUGH IT WOULD BE COOL TO SEE CITY PARK REMOVED hahaha.gif

AS FOR AS ACCESS, I DUNNO. THOUGH LAST MONTH I TALKED TO A SOME RAIL GUYS ABOUT A BEAVER IN THE AREA. NICE GUYS. THEY SEEMED WAY INTO JUST TALKIN ABOUT NADA AND HAD NO PROBLEM WITH CLIMBING.

BUT WHO KNOWS?!

I agree with Erik about the quarry being history but there have been several attempts to snag some rock from the talus field in the past 20 years.

Perhaps the best thing climbers can do to ensure access is to be civil and not to drive up the access road (crossing the RR tracks) to the quarry.

My experiences with the Parks Dept. lead me to believe that they are good guys and are supportive of climbing at Index.

Darryl

Trivia:

Some of the granite went into the steps of the capital in Olympia

Further trivia: A friend's grandfather worked the quarry back then. He used to live out in the Index area during the week and only make the ONE DAY TRIP back to Seattle to see his family on the weekends.