Bleach/paint fumes around climbing gear

Meredith

Due to a recent sewage-related basement flood (blech!) all my nicely wall-hung cams, draws, sling etc have been exposed to bleach/strong cleaner fumes. Should I be concerned about their safety? The liquid didn't touch them (it was on the floor, gear is hung on the wall) it just smells awfully hospital-ly in there. 

Also, the floor may end up being painted from the related damage. Should the climbing gear be removed during that? (Assuming its not already ruined.)

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's totally ruined, but there are folks here who can properly dispose of it.  :wink:

In seriousness, if the gear hasn't come in contact with chemicals I would use it.  But I'm a poor, cheap bastard.

Most paint is pretty benign, though sometimes muriatic acid is used to prep concrete before painting.  In the case of the latter, wouldn't hurt to move the gear for a bit in case some gets splashed on it.

I used to store bleach under my bathroom sink.  One time I didn't tighten the lid fully.  It ate through the sink and created a leak (bottom of the sink is not glazed and the corrosion eventually caused the glaze to crack).

But since your basement is a larger area and probably much better ventilated than my bathroom cabinet, maybe you are OK?  Its hard to say, but you are rightly concerned.  I don't know that there is any way to know for sure other than subjecting the equipment to destructive testing.  I'd probably get my cams reslung, draws and webbing replaced etc.   My life is worth it.

So I guess the question you need to ask yourself is:  "Do you feel lucky?  Well do ya, Punk?!" - C. Eastwood

Edited by bstach

There's this article, but the testing they did was with actual contact with the chemicals.  What I get out of this is if it was only exposed to fumes (not getting anything splashed on them) and only for a short period and in a well ventilated area, maybe you are OK.   I say if you can afford it, replace it.  Sucks for sure though.

Cleaning chemicals and climbing gear

You should consider contacting the manufacturer directly.  If you do, please follow-up here with their response.

Edited by bstach