Guye Peak Conditions?

Weekend_Climberz

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on guye Sunday afternoon. The lower portion is deep slush but it's not bad. Didn't venture up too high as i had my kid w/me but there's not a lot of snow. Big waterfall on the West face if that gives you any idea. We had lots of fun doing some snowshoeing and a little climbing.

Went and check the conditions on Sunday for myself. There was barely any snow at the parking lot, mainly just what the snowplows had scooped up onto the side of the roads. Waterfalls were coming down were usually thick fat ice forms on Cave Ridge. We decided to walk up to the Tooth and see what the view was from the top. It was cloudy as we started out and a little bit slick. We strapped on the 'pons and proceded up the trail towards the Snow Lake cutoff. Once we started to round the valley clouds were obviously starting to sock in the area. Once we got onto the open slopes near the gap that leads to the Tooth, things got tough. Here the snow was at least hip deep and even mid-chest in some places, making the going pretty slow. A couple of guys skiied passed us making us wish we had planned a little better, but oh well. We stopped just below a cliff with what seemed like the only solid piece of ice in the whole area. Now the heavy wet snow was starting to pick up and we decided to hangout for a minute. We caught up to the guys on skiis and they were cutting a Rutchblock (spelling) a trying to decide if the slope we were just snorkling through was safe. It took about four jumps before it let loose, but it seemed to take a lot of force. We decided that we had had enough post-holing for one day, especially since we left the scuba gear at home. All in all it was a short fun hike, that really got me pump after a few hours of wallowing in that snow.