Report from San Francisco

allthumbs

MattP said:

I believe that when kids hit age 25 or 30, they generally tend to revert to their parents' world view even if they dallied in some other perspective.

Oh dear, I must be some sort of seriously arrested development case, cuz I'm quite past that window of reversion. I grew up in a devout Republican household: my folks were diehard Goldwater fans, borderline John Birchers, and very active in the party. My mother managed political campaigns, and as a child I stuffed envelopes for Nixon, Ford, and Pete Wilson, who's also my sister's godfather for pete's sake. As a five-year-old, the day John Kennedy was assasinated I asked my mother if it was a good thing because he was a Democrat (she answered "No.") How did I go astray? I think I only had one seriously lefty liberal prof (Herb Schiller at UCSD), and none of the professors I had at Evergreen where I finished off my eight year college education plan were more overt than a generally humanist outlook on life. I believe my father blames it all on climbing, and the associated dirtbag outlook on life. Ahh well, I think I'm the happiest person in my family of origin, and that was the goal I set for myself long ago.

Fairweather, its a cool thing having one of your children turn into an adult (I've got a 21 year old son), and I think of of the key tricks is liking who they are, not what they think. As a junior in high school, your daughter is already essentially self-programming, and your voice is now just one of many she hears and evaluates. No doubt you've raised her to be a good person, and now comes the slow transition to friend and fellow adult. Agree or disagree with each other in the future, make sure you develop the mutual respect that will keep you discussing things together in the years to come. And I don't care what MattP says, your Olympus photos are quite exquisite.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what Frank Zappa had to say about of hippies

so hippies would be stupid to have identified with the ideals of Donovan, Joplin and Hendrix but we'd be smart to heed Zappa's words? Is he some kind of bastion of thoughts in the western world or something? I did not think so.

You are going to make a grumpy old fart some day.

Joplin...dead; drugs

Hendrix...dead; drugs(?)

Morrison...dead; drugs

Visionaries; yes. But they've got the blood of dead kids on their hands IMHO.

....ready for a flamin'...

Off White,

Here's a story for you and Mattp:

A family friend of ours is a state water quality big-wig down in Olympia. I recently saw him at a gathering and as we hadn't seen each other for some time, we had some good conversation. He has two sons, aged 18 and 19. The 19 year old is a student at Evergreen State College, and the 18 year old.... joined the US Marines on Sept 12, 2001.

...Same upbringing, different result! Go figure.

Technically speaking I believe Hendrix died by drowing in vomit (friends don't let wasted friends pass out on their backs) but as it was due to a mix of alcohol and barbituates, I wouldn't dispute drugs as a cause.

I wouldn't say that the blood of children is any more on their hands than that Anheuser-Busch has the blood of drunk driving victims on its hands. I think advertising is much more effective at promoting a lifestyle than an individual role model. Don't forget, you espouse the virtues of individual choice!

Do you think that product placement is not advertisement? You could be right though, I seem to recall a chapter in The Tipping Point (interesting book about fads and trends, if you're unfamiliar) that made a pretty good argument for the power of James Dean over Joe Camel. I do think that the Swedish Bikini Team trumps death by vomit inhalation as a positive marker for alcohol consumption. bigdrink.gif

coming in a little late here...but...I tried to get my son interested in Evergreen. I LOVE that place. But it's a little too rustic for him. He's more of the urban-Berkeley type which is ok...except UCB is BIG...over 40,000 students compared to the 3000 or so at Evergreen. ah well he still has a few years to decide. BTW I think Evergreen is a steal at 12K a year (includes room and board)

(As an aside he's currently attending Evergreen H.S. grin.gif)

Why not Reed?