Banff Film Festival

Terminal_Gravity

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget if it was last year, or the year before, but the feature film at the Seattle showing of the BFF was one about 2 kids travelling across the US to go to visit the basketball hall of fame! c'mon!!??? what crap is that? They legitimized it by saying it was about adventure or something...

And every year there is a film about people paragliding in weird paragliders around chamonix.

ok, enough BFF-bashing...

I save my pennies for the VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL MOUNTAINEERING FILM FESTIVAL which still has soul. (late Feb. or early March). Banff is for media whores and the winning films are always overproduced trash or nature studies with a mountain in the background of one shot.

The only good thing about Banff is you can sneak out and climb with an alpine idol of yours, or smoke a joint with leo houlding. and make fun of the hero worship guy getting his orange patagucci jacket signed by everyone.

Last season's festival in Seattle was terrible. I only liked a couple of films. What was with all the femme shit too?! Don't get me wrong I like women, but there were a ton of femm films and I got a weird vibe...........

Reading Druls post is more like what I believe. Fuck man ! Look it's Barry Blanchard on acid ---> hippie.gif I am going over to trip with him. I think he has an extra hit!

a lot of times the winning films dont even get shown on the Best Of tour, they only show what they think will sell to a mostly non-climbing audience. in vancouver they ALWAYS show a euro lycra ski film and a 15 minute kayak wank shot of some idiot spinning around in a little whirlpool in slow mo with a hard on. and a stupid documentary about some third world place with lots of tear jerking and a mountain peak somewhere behind a starving villager.

VIMFF you get to see lecture by VOYTEK KURTYKA!!!!!!!! "this face is 2500m high so we take ... two ice screw and three pins. buy me beer after and i tell you what sizes!"

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 10-09-2001).]

Another perspective:

I'll be going this year after having missed it the last couple, and attending the previous three. Yes, you get the non-climbing, hero worshipping crowd (wait - wasn't there a thread here not long ago...?), and slicked out media hyped films. But my memories from previous events include Chouinard having so many slides he ran out of time at 1984, sitting in on a great panel discussion about high altitude guiding the year after the Everest thing that inluded Krakauer, Viesturs and Alex Lowe.

Anyways, any excuse to get out to Banff is a good one. If you're going up, let's grab a beer one night. I'll be there Wed-Mon.

BTW - you can't compare the travelling show with the one in Banff.

[This message has been edited by EddieE (edited 10-10-2001).]

I e-mailed them last year, and was told, by

Seana Strain [seana_Strain@BanffCentre.AB.CA]

"The films shown in each location are chosen by the host organization.

Please contact the host listed on the website for details on what will be

shown in their town or city."

So if you don't like the films the Mountaineers select, you'd need to take it up with them.

(Of course, they can only select from what Banff has...)