Alta Peak Avalanche Pictures taken 3/12/08

ilookeddown

Went for a tour up to Alaska Peak with Adam and came across the massive Alta Peak slide from last month. I have never see an avalanche do this much damage. It crossed the valley, covered Gold Creek and took out trees up hill on the other side of the valley. I thought I would share because it is very impressive.

Adam touring across valley west side trees got smoked up hill.

IMGP3417.JPG

Slide path east side.

IMGP3357.JPG

Slide path from the summit of Alaska Peak

IMGP3392.JPG

East side of slide path with the lone tree

IMGP3364.JPG

East side of slide path

IMGP3412.JPG

Where gold creek was

IMGP3414.JPG

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The damamge is tremendous from a air blast. Think for a moment the wave of air the envelopes you as u wait for the bus to stop. or a subway, then multiply that thought by 220 Kmh ( the average calculated speed of a dry avalanche at terminal velocity). Maybe I am wrong in this particular instance. But by looking at that photo and seeing the fella walkin threw the carnage. I can only imagine the forces at work. another thought is if the forest was damamged as a result of avalanche mass there may be more broken trees as opposed to trees that look like they have been pushed over. I also have witnessed the damage of on air blast first hand from a helicopter after a explosive control mission. Following the avalanche from afar. Hope this clears up my thoughts from the original post.

Chris.