• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
TimL

Bugaboo Rope Question

Was wondering if it would be better to take double 60-meter ropes or a single 70? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Edited by TimL

Many routes are rigged for 60m rappels, so double ropes would be required (or a tag line)

When I was there (2015 and 2014), none of the routes we climbed required more than a single 60m rope to rappel. You should research the beta on the specific routes you are planning to climb and determine whether any of them need more than that.

You can get off Bugaboo Spire and Snowpatch Spire with just a single 60m.

though it feels like "crag" sometimes, it is still alpine. I would not go up there with a single rope, only doubles. Mostly based with the situation of a stuck rope on rappel, which has happened to me there. If one get stuck, I want that other line to deal with the situation, either climb up or abandon and go down.

and my perfect rope choice would be 50m doubles, but those are hard to find without cutting.

South Howser is set up for a single 70m rope (35m rappels as of last summer). Given how good and well placed the bolted rap stations are, I think a single 70m is the ticket.

Gene- It is amazing how different it is in the Bugs (on the trade routes) compared with just 10 years ago. Shiny anchors everywhere!

Gene- It is amazing how different it is in the Bugs (on the trade routes) compared with just 10 years ago. Shiny anchors everywhere!

R U calling me old? :)

I thought it was really good over ten years ago. Now the anchors throw down your rope too? :)

Yes, because I am too. :shock:

Almost, the guides have the stations set up so that the pulls are really nice (with big stainless rings)....we never had a close call on any rap.

It is pretty much alpine cragging now, with the same crowds.

raps down the bugaboo spire and pigeon-snowpatch col are all fine and dandy with a single 60m. all the other climbing is too hard for me.

Edited by alpine et