Tooth South Face

mvs

was in fine form Saturday. There was a very warm wind above the ice fog, kind of like standing behind a laundrymat in some places. We left crampons and 2nd tools at the base, just taking an axe for the snowfield on pitch 3. Snowshoes or skis were needed for the approach. The NE Slab looked too thin for me (the canonical poseur) to have fun on. We climbed steep snow and trees to the summit of Baby Tooth to finish up the day. It was disappointing not to find the mixed conditions we hoped for in winter, but on the other hand, you don't often get June in January, and should enjoy it!

Dance for me, oh puffy creature! fruit.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We (yours truly and Eric8) wanted to go do The North Face of Chair today. When we heard on the radio that pass temps were in the 30s instead of 20s, we forgot about Chair and passed out in the truck until 6. We then managed to get to Source Lake without losing the trail!!!!!!!!!!! and slowly went up to the tooth basin to check out the NE slab. The slab looks horrendously thin, so we toproped some short, steep ice flows on the right side of the valley. It was great, my first water ice experience.

We saw those, looked neat! You know, there is an ice climb on the east face of the Tooth, which goes up a wide shallow gully to connect with a left-leading snow ramp to the upper face. That looked climbable if a little colder. Maybe it has a name, I dunno. Some tracks went to the base of it, but not higher.

Stop you're killing me! fruit.gif

A friend of mine did the NE slab, I believe it was the Sunday before yesterday. Said it was real thin, hairy in places, not a lot of good places to put pro. That's been his white whale, he's been trying that sucker off and on for the last 3 or 4 years several times each year. I think he can retire from climbing now, what's left to do after that? grin.gif

Dan -

Did you try that steep line a couple hundred yards left of the NE Slabs route, that starts with a vertically trending pitch to a diagonal left trending ramp? Were you planning to follow the ramp and head around to top out on the S. Face or to bear up and right to complete the climb on the E. Face?