Interesting "Dawn Wall" perspective

glassgowkiss

READ

I have to agree with the whole thing 100%.

Most definitely this will be the long term fallout:

"My fear for climbing is that once we drink from the mainstream chalice, which obviously began a long time ago and has been a part of climbing ever since, we lose control. Media climbing is escalating massively given modern technology and my fear is this, how long is it in today’s society, a society of government cuts and austerity, before the consequences of putting ourselves out into the public domain hit – how long before government takes notice and regulations begin? "

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Climbing is not a crime.

No, but I can see how NPS in Yosemite implements permits for climbing on El Capitan and on Half Dome within next few years. The reason- a bunch of fucktards, inspired by Tommy and Kevin, and completely without clue or ability, will start getting into big trouble (read high profile rescues) while attempting to get their 5 minutes of fame. It has happened- Denali.

I don't see "Vantagefication" ever happening on El Cap. El Cap has a way of striking terror into would be suitors as they stand below it, looking up. If one doesn't have the technical ability to exist on a 3,000' granite wall for more than a few hours, they won't get past a couple pitches.

The media and general public has a 5 minute attention span. Dawn Wall shit storm came and went. It's forgotten.

x2 - the media's given huge waves of attention to el cap clibmign before w/o serious negative effect - the tradition of unpermitted, largely hands-off -from-the-feds climbing in the valley is well-established and cherished and not in much danger after a 15 minute flash of new-found fame

and yup, it's awful hard to need to get rescued off pitch 20-something when you got your ass handed to you on pitch 2 or 3, which is how that shit goes awful quick for the standard wanker (which definetly includes me) :)