SMC?

Peter_Puget

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seattle REI also had the SMC's on display.

At 20oz and strap-ons, they're nice. I think REI sold them for $80

dont forget about the $20.00 straps sold seperately.

Peter, I strongly recomend you consider the stubai aluminum crampon for general mountaineering and approach. There are many options in the $100 range.

like these

Unfortunatly I purchased some smc's early in my climbing career, used them a couple of times and sold them to a friend who doesen't use them much. They are slow to put on and will inhibit circulation if you don't have an extreemly stiff boot. I know, I know, people used them for along time on big mountains and they work, but, the point is, there are better 'pons available for the same price.

If you are determined to get the SMC's Second Ascent usually has a half dozen pairs on sale for $50ish with the straps.

I never did like those strapons. smileysex5.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I too thought ill of the SMC's for a while. I don't know why, I like them now. Met a ranger on Denali who swears by them. He said it only took him an extra minute to put his on versus the step-ins. I too think they're fast to put on, after you've adjusted them. A guy I know went up the Mowich face on Rainier with them (a year ago, so no historical nostalgia there).

I've used the SMC's as well and if I had the extra dinero, I'd buy them. Heck, I'd buy those Stubai's too. Come to think of it, given my current economic status, I'd buy the Stubai's first... uh, so good point, bronco.