Argonaut Peak

Little Beirut

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be done, you will need to drop into the basin below the North Face of Argonaut by dropping down a gully on the crest just east of Argonaut. I've only done this in winter though, not sure how it would be this time of year.

I would think getting to that point east of Argo would not be easy cause you'd have to summit colchuck and go down the other side. Probably easier to wrap around to the south and drop down from sherpa Argo col. You'd have to lose a fair bit of elevation but travel would be fast right now with the snow.

If you're going for the NE gully, the better way is to C2C it, approaching from Mountaineer Creek, and descending via Colchuck Col (optional summit of Colchuck as well). I've done that this time of year (TR in the db) and can highly recommend the outing as a fun/interesting trip.

I agree with Jason, pretty straight forward to approach via Mountaineer's creek. If your plan is to enchain Colchuck, it is straight forward to make a couple raps off the south side of Argonaut and walk over to the west face of Colchuck. I know Paul Klenke (and Martin Cash?) did this CTC in a day.

We just did this trip today, conditions are perfect for this climb right now. Approached via mountaineers creek to the NE couloir, descended by rapping into the east gully (you'll want two 60m ropes to reach the same rap station as we did), then walked over and tagged Colchuck. We did it in just under 14 hours CTC. So much fun!

Edited by Val Zephyr