Verlot Park Inn - General Store

Tyson.g

Anyone remember the little store in Verlot (not Green Gables) that was right next to the Verlot Campground?

It was torn down in the 80's or 90's. It was after the FS Ranger Station but before the turn off to Pilchuck.

I am asking for any stories or anecdotes regarding this store in particular.

I spent a few years of my childhood living there and my mom ran the store for Don and Sharon Engster.

I recall that back in the day my mom used to cook turkeys in our wood fired oven for folks who were up playing in the snow on Pilchuck and they would pick them up as well as a loaf of her homemade bread on the way back through.

I would love to get any stories from folks that may remember the store or my mom.

Thanks for the thought.

Tyson

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall Green Gables quite well and started going up there in the late 80's. As a blossoming climber focused on the Central Cascades it was a great place to get some history and fuel up. Biscuits and gravy in the morning and kielbasas on the way out have possibly contributed to my current svelte figure. I purchased and still have many maps and even a nice historical framed photo of Big 4 with the lodge and rail service. Big 4 has always captured my attention.

Its very likely that I met your mom if she worked there at that time. Probably some punk ass kid (Mr Tyson) there too though I may be projecting... Always a friendly place with a funky never working gas pump and cold ice cream bars off to the side.

Good memories

MH