Let's talk cars again

allison

4WD, Allison is convinced she needs it... why? Carry your tire chains year-round. Sure may be dirtier and not as convenient as 4wd, but you've got a beer budget with a champagne taste.

That said, buy a cheap car (make sure it passes emissions b4 you buy it). Much to the chagrin of previous girlfriends, I've gotten by for the past six years on $1k cars. They're cheap, they usually last a year or two, and you can always buy another one if it breaks down. Nobody wants to steal them. They vary in gas mileage. You don't really care about spending money to wash them or do preventitive maintenance. At $1k per year and cheap insurance, you're better off financially in the long run as well. That's bang for the buck. hahaha.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carry your tire chains year-round. Sure may be dirtier

I remember the day we took my sister's '78 honda accord duck hunting, we got stuck badly while mud boggin in a farmer's field until we put the "mud" chains on. Works like a charm.

You don't ever want to have to ask a farmer to come pull your car out of the mud after you just finished beggin permision to hunt his property.

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

I also think resale is a moot point at this point. And I disagree with the statement that rebuilding is a bad idea. If so much has already been replaced, a new engine will render the vehicle in pretty good condition. It is way, way less expensive to put in a new engine plus a few hundred dollars in "unforeseen" additional repairs than buying a new vehicle (upwards of $20k) or newer used one (which may need repairs itself). I think you are making the right decision.