[TR] Jack Mountain - South Face 9/1/2013

KaskadskyjKozak

Trip: Jack Mountain - South Face

Date: 9/1/2013

Trip Report:

Several friends accompanied me to the Pasayten this weekend to climb Jack Mountain. We approached via the Crater Mountain trail to Jerry Lakes on Saturday, climbed Jack on Sunday and returned to camp a second night at Jerry Lakes before heading out Monday. Our approach and deproach avoided the glacier completely. Because we were a large party, we were a bit worried about managing the loose rock (yet alone climbing near other parties). As it turned out a party of 4 was also up there this weekend, but everything worked out with both parties summitting within an hour of oneother. The rock fall was not any worse than an other similar cascade route and we only had one scary moment where one of our climbers grabbed and let loose a porta-hold on the class 4 section. Fortunately, she did not lose her balance (or nerve). The rap anchor we found and used on the way down was a bit sketch - nobody got warm fuzzies fro it.

Some pics with captions follow below.

The team's first view of the objective from the end of the Crater Mountain trail:

DSCF03432.JPG

Ascending scree and talus below trail's end:

DSCF0347.JPG

View back shortly after leaving camp on summit day:

DSCF0357.JPG

Sun appears on summit day:

DSCF0360.JPG

Class 4 step:

DSCF0370.JPG

Class 3 scrambling on the S Face:

DSCF0373.JPG

DSCF03781.JPG

Ascending the summit block:

DSCF0380.JPG

Summit p0rn. Ross Lake, Redoubt, Mox Peaks, etc visible in the background:

DSCF0393.JPG

KK on the summit. Nohokomeen glacier in the background:

DSCF0383.JPG

View down the Crater Creek drainage below Jack's S Face:

DSCF04111.JPG

Descending from the summit:

DSCF0397.JPG

Rappeling the 4th class section:

DSCF04141.JPG

Traversing back below the S Face:

DSCF0418.JPG

Morning clouds provide for more enjoyment on the way out:

DSCF0445.JPG

DSCF0436.JPG

Passing the proglacial lake below Jerry Glacier on the way out:

DSCF0448.JPG

View back to Jack mountain from trail's end. The proglacial lake below the Jerry Glacier is clearly visible:

DSCF0460.JPG

Views South on the descent:

DSCF0469.JPG

Panorama of N Cascades glory from the Crater Mountain trail:

DSCF0470-PANO.jpg

A great trip to a remote mountain - worth doing exactly once!

Gear Notes:

Helmet, 30m rope for one rappel, ice axe and crampons.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we did the right rappel and did the same class 3 section. Although you say it was a ramp? I remember the class 3 below as more of a gullyish setup. The class 4 section for us was definitely not blocky, but instead was a C4 traverse (the rock explodes like C4 too).

We experienced nothing like what you described below. We had a 40' rap to mellow terrain.

"We got the rope ready and put it though the rappel ring, my biggest worry came true. It didn't reach. Looking down I dreaded the idea of having to get off the rope and down climb the last section. I knew that if there was anyone to go down first, it would have to be me. Looking around I said aloud "there's gotta be another way". We both knew there wasn't. This was the only way down. The rappel position was the worst I've ever seen. The people who put up the webbing couldn't have done much to fix this. With the slightest tug the webbing moved which worried me. We secured it on as best as we could. I said a prayer and got on with the rappel.

To start out I had to go over to the right where there was a minor ledge. With one hand I held on to the brake and the other I held the rock. I had to traverse more towards the webbing to get it in motion. But as I got closer it became increasingly more over hang like. My arms were exhausted from the climbing and were starting to give way. I could not figure out a safe position to get to."

I think we did the right rappel and did the same class 3 section. Although you say it was a ramp? I remember the class 3 below as more of a gullyish setup. The class 4 section for us was definitely not blocky, but instead was a C4 traverse (the rock explodes like C4 too).

We experienced nothing like what you described below. We had a 40' rap to mellow terrain.

"We got the rope ready and put it though the rappel ring, my biggest worry came true. It didn't reach. Looking down I dreaded the idea of having to get off the rope and down climb the last section. I knew that if there was anyone to go down first, it would have to be me. Looking around I said aloud "there's gotta be another way". We both knew there wasn't. This was the only way down. The rappel position was the worst I've ever seen. The people who put up the webbing couldn't have done much to fix this. With the slightest tug the webbing moved which worried me. We secured it on as best as we could. I said a prayer and got on with the rappel.

To start out I had to go over to the right where there was a minor ledge. With one hand I held on to the brake and the other I held the rock. I had to traverse more towards the webbing to get it in motion. But as I got closer it became increasingly more over hang like. My arms were exhausted from the climbing and were starting to give way. I could not figure out a safe position to get to."

Perhaps the thought of how daring and exciting something will sound on a trip report taints the memory when it comes time to actually write it.