Soloing Mt. Adams

AmandaHugnkiss

I will be in the area for a couple days and was hoping to climb something. Originally I had a partner and we were going to do a car-to-car attempt of Mt. Rainier but she bailed yesterday. I was wondering if it is possible for me to do a solo climb of the South Spur of Adams. I'm an overly cautious climber but I'm in great shape.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, if you have your route finding down / follow the boot pack Adams is pretty gentle and the South Spur route requires no technical skills besides the ability to arrest. I haven't been there this year, but is the road open to the cold springs campground? if so your approach is much shorter than in previous years.

That is most likely true but not always. Last year we made an Rainier attempt via the Emmons on a perfect July Saturday and, except for a few minutes encountering two other parties, we were the only people on the route. The year before I descended that route on a perfect August day in the late afternoon - same thing. Nobody but us. Best to plan for self sufficiency, even on a trade route.

I climbed Adams last weekend. Route is pretty much staircased up to the top of piker's peak. large sun cups up to the summit, but easily navigable.

you'll have no issue finding the route up to lunch counter, its well trodden, and marked with large carins and wood beams until you get on the snow...then just follow the hoards of other climbers.

glissade chutes are deep and fast right now, tons of fun.