Black Sabbath

kevbone

"13" is the new Black Sabbath album that was released to the world on Tuesday. I personally think it stands up to anything they have put out in the past. I love it. Ozzie sounds great and Toni....you are the riff master. The metal gods have given us a gift.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm digging the first three songs the most. The last song Dear Father is pretty weak, and the rest are ok. I'm not sure about the 2nd disk in the deluxe set - are these leftovers?

Iommi's tone reminds me more of Heaven and Hell than any of the classic Sabbath albums with Ozzy. Not that that is bad, but I would have loved to have them return to the grittier sounds of the 70's. Some of the songs remind me a little bit of the tone on Technical Ecstasy (if intentional, that is a weird choice as it is arguably their weakest album with Ozzy). The solos are definitely reminiscent of stuff from Heaven and Hell.

The songs do seem a bit formulaic in mimicing some of the original classics - the song End of the Beginning reminds me at times of the song Black Sabbath (including an uptempo part following the slow and gloomy chromatic riffs) or "Under the Sun" from Vol 4. And then there are the bongos on Zeitgeist reminiscent of Planet Caravan.

All in all I am liking the album. It's no flop, but not as good as say the reunion album from Van Halen.

I think it is as good as anything they have ever released.

that's a tall order, and not a realistic one.

It's good, but they aren't what they used to be. That said, it's better than any of the uninspired Tony Martin albums they did, and better than Dehumanizer or Technical Ecstasy. Not sure how much farther I'd go than that.

I hate comebacks. They're rarely good, and almost always destroy the memory of the band that used to be awesome. This is less applicable for Sabbath, which has sucked ass for a long time since their good days.

But, I should at least listen to this album and see if it's as horrible as the AIC comeback album (Black Gives Way to Suck) and that shit Soundgarden did to all of us. Then again, every new Soundgarden album protects us from the release of another Cornell solo project, which is definitely worth it

I hate comebacks. They're rarely good, and almost always destroy the memory of the band that used to be awesome. This is less applicable for Sabbath, which has sucked ass for a long time since their good days.

But, I should at least listen to this album and see if it's as horrible as the AIC comeback album (Black Gives Way to Suck) and that shit Soundgarden did to all of us. Then again, every new Soundgarden album protects us from the release of another Cornell solo project, which is definitely worth it

good god. Do you have anything positive to say?

sure, for example, I'm positive there is a lot of new and exciting metal coming out that is NOT a comeback album from a bunch of tired old men trying to relive their past glory.

Ozzy and company are fucking awesome. I hardly think they are trying to relive their past glory. They are not doing it for the money. They are all loaded. Try youtubing interviews from Geezer (bass player) and listen to why they did another album. Also how much fun they are having playing with Ozzie again. Super inspiring. Any we have more Black Sabbath!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the album is amazing. Have you heard the entire thing yet?

Sabbath stopped putting out albums years ago... although it really was mostly JUST Iommi putting out those albums. Think mid-90's.

I think of this more as a last shot to reunite before one of these guys croaks. they are overdue for this. And they sound good. Listen for Geezer's lines underneath the tracks... old school sabbath.

I liked the last Rolling Stones album too... Bigger Bang. Almost every song on that is awesome. I'd rather be in a world with it then w/o.

You are right about AIC and Soundgarten... I haven't even bought those albums.

I went to see Tom Petty in LA earlier this month for my birthday. Super small venue (1200 peeps), we were right up front and the electricity of such a small venue was incredible, so was the sound. They mostly played a lot of old school, more obscure songs, with a dose of the usual classics. Looking forward to the new album due out later this year. This one's for you Bone...

[video:youtube]

I've only heard a few songs. I'll listen to it tonight on my bike ride home and give you my review.

Comeback albums are hard. They can't all be Back in Black.

I know I'm getting old when I realize AC/DC suck. The same three cords and screaming.

AC/DC are awesome! And still crushing it.

Love Tom Petty's stuff too!