Mammut Serenity 8.7 mm

Jim

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got it, but haven't put it to use yet. I just retired a Revelation after using it extensively during the last several years and was very pleased. I don't see why the Serenity would be much worse. That said, it probably won't be as durable as the Revelation. Just don't fall. ;)

I've climbed on the 8.9 version loads of times in the alpine for the past two years. Good rope for that application, and they seem to be doing well. I'd guess that the 8.7 would be great for that too, just be mindful of where the rope is going over rocks and avoid any overly sharp edges.

Also, make sure your, and your partner's, belay devices can handle a rope that thin. I'd recommend one with teeth to add friction as they can get a little zippy on rappel.

I don't usually autobloc except when snow/icey, but I think I will on the first few raps on this new one. Debating about 8.7 vs 8.9. Off to Sierra and any weight reducion would make me happy for the slog to base.