Scarpa Frenney - How they rate???

Greg_W

I've got a pair of Sportiva Trangos (Is that the Trango Lambone is talking about?) and they're a great cascade boot, very light (a little over 3 pounds), but good for crampons, nice block of solid rubber in the edging sweet spot. Sierra Trading Post has them on sale for $157.00 (I think they've been discontinued) Here's a link: Sierra Trading Post: Trango Boots

There's also an identical model called the Baltoro that's about 10 bucks cheaper and come with leather uppers rather than Nubuck. Means they are tan instead of euro-stylee light green.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Baltoro is not quite the same. It is not Newmatic crampon compatible as the heel has no place for the heel lever to hook and the sole is a bit more flexible (a litle more comfortable to walk in). I love my Trangos and was sorry to see them discontinued. The replacement Trango S looks pretty sweet, though.

well if you wait a few months scarpa is coming out with the new synthetic freney the xt. here is what I read about scarpas new boots

"Freney XT has the wide last of the Cumbre for better fit and is not flat lasted like current Freney for better hiking, more insulation and synthetic materials translate to more warmth and less weight. Competing with the new LaSport Trango line but at a more modest color of blue / silver.

scarpa Phantom is another high alt technical climbing boot such as the Ice 9000, Nuptse, Jannu or maybe Olympus Mons but anyway in that catagory and I am working on a pr for spring trip into the range."

Also you could look into kayland multi traction boots "which I think are way great...I got a pair on sale for my girlfriend she thought they were too low volume on the toes...I tried them on but they are to small on me (they feel like rock shoes " but they seem to be what I was looking for...now if I could only find a cheap pair in my size.... or you can go for any of the newmatic crampon synthetic boots from sportiva, kayland, garmont, ect.